Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 drop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84K5cedric, Aug 19, 2002.

1. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

After installing my 4" suspension lift, I noticed my front shaft seems pretty short. And whenever I'm at speed and let off the gas partially, I get what I can only assume is U-joint vibe. I also hear and feel it when wheeling up a steep incline. I've read here that the stock spacers under the tcase and be moved to facilitate the drop. What I want to know is how does this work with the back of the tranny? will it follow with no additional work necessary? Is this, in effect changing the drive line angle (starting at the engine back to the tcase)? If so, wouldn't dropping the tcase actually increase the angle of the front u-joints?

2. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

when you drop your t case at the cross member it puts less angle on your rear driveshaft but more on your front.i went through this when i put a 6in on my 90 blazer(700r208)what a nightmare.you should be alright with a 4 in lift. maybe a litle grinding on the front shaft.

3. 84K5cedric

in my 4" kit the spring pack had an angled shim installed so the rear shaft is fine. So it sounds as if dropping the tcase to fix the front shaft (which is showing alot more yoke(?) at the back of the diff) would actually hurt my cause. What about angled shims such as those which were on the rear spring pack? any reasons why I couldn't make or find something like this to take care of some of angle?

4. 84K5cedric

What did you mean by a little grinding on the front shaft?

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

there are little "ears" in the cv on the front shaft that limits travel in the cv..you can grind them out without any ill effects..it gives you a few extra deg of travel from it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 84K5cedric

I'll look into grinding out the "ears". But while I'm at it, is there any thing wrong with putting an angled shim under the front spring pack to eat up a few degrees?

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

you would be doin alot of shimmin...i would just grind the ears and see what happens...its a free and easy fix if it works..