Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 Fabrication questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Aug 30, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok here's my NP208 question,
    Has anyone seen a setup that creates a fixed yoke NP208 which in turn allows you to put a driveline brake on the setup OR has anyone seen a driveling break setup on a NP208?????? If you have pics PLEASE post them. I have some good ideas but just want to see what else is out there...

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

when will people realize there isn't a fixed yoke kit for the 208 thats worth their time? Now I could see building a driveline e brake off a Dodge converted 208 with a fixed yoke.

3. CaveBlazin

My main concern is for the driveline brake but I have different ideas for that but just wondered if anyone has come up with another idea other than the dodge setup that was from factory on some Gov vehicles....

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

search this is covered at least once a week anymore /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif never thought I'd hear myself say search but yep

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have a fixed yoke NP208, but I never thought about trying to do a driveline brake. If one exists for other aluminum fixed yoke transfer cases, then I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 208. I would think the bolt that hold the tailshaft housing to the case could be used to hold a bracket.

I think you would be the first person to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So you use the high angle flange and mount the rotor to it. Then there is a bracket to mount the caliper to the T-case. I suppose if it is a little different, another bracket wouldn't be too hard to make.

I think a 241 is 32-spline just like the 208, so the same flange should work.

Does the fact that it is a mechanical (not hydraulic) brake make it street legal?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've never seen a factory hydraulic emergency brake /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. even if it was hydraulic it would be legal in Pennsylvania. It just has to be a seperate ysstem from the normal brakes so if the normal ones fail the emergency won't.

9. CaveBlazin

Im not for sure if the hydraulic brake on a HMMV is hydraulic but I know its the same concept as what we are talking about. Me and 79Stomper worked on those piece of crap setups but I dont remember if they were hydro or not. I've seen the dodge setup and would'nt mind having something like that but If I recall its a divorced setup T-case. As far as searching good luck anymore doing any kind of searches cause the search engine is crappy Im sure now that I've said that someone will be able to dig up like 10 different links on that but come on we all know how GOOD the search engine is.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the forum is crappy right now. hydraulic or not I know in PA they are legal. Jarhead pmed me once and I looked it up in the inspection laws cause hes puting one on a 241.