Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 fixed output.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomseviltwin, Mar 11, 2004.

1. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

A usually reliable source told me today that the output shaft and tailhousing from a ford bronco np208 would bolt right on to a Chevy np208. Has anyone explored this possibility?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ford 208s are slip yoke.

Dodge has a fixed yoke one but the parts will not fit into a Chevy case without a slight amount of modification.

Outlaw612 did this swap, PM him and maybe he'll show you pics of his setup.

3. tomseviltwin

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifI guess it sounded too good to be true /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not all Furds are slip yoke.

Here's my post about it almost a year ago.

Since I have a worn-out NP208 I was contemplating buying a Furd NP208 and trying this. But not until the snow is gone so I can scour the junkyard. I'm pretty sure the virgin one I eyeballed a year ago went in the crusher this past fall.

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

IM pretty sure the ford case wont work as it is d side drop.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure if the driver's side drop matters. I suspect the guts are all going to be similar between the GM/Dodge and Ford/AMC cases. I doubt New Process would call them all the same thing if the guts weren't similar. I know the Ford/AMC cases are fixed yoke but they have 12 link longer chains. All the front output shafts seem to look the same. It's only the rear that looks different.

I don't know, I think all of them would have to be torn apart to find out.

7. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

I am actually in the process of doing the same thing.Ford did make a fixed yoke on some 208's,the case it self wont work, case is bigger and LH dropped of coarse,but the tail housing and yoke might work.
    I will let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. tomseviltwin

[ QUOTE ]
    Ford 208s are slip yoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to test this theory, I crawled under one in the parking lot at work and sho'nuff, fixed yoke output. I was told this was a direct bolt in right down to the speedo cable, by a 4xshop owner who says he's done it. I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion. I guess I need to hit some junkyards this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

What do you do about the rear driveshaft? Can you use the one of the Furd doner or do you have to buy a new one? Also, are there any companies out there that make an SYE kit for the 208's? If so, how much do they run including the driveshaft? I wouldn't mind looking into the SYE upgrade because the SY seal on my TC leaks like crazy even after I've replaced it. Now there's ATF all under the body around the TC not mention it makes a nice spot on the driveway.

10. tomseviltwin

I'm going to look in some junkyards this weekend. No one makes a real fixed tailshaft for the 208 in the aftermarket. Driveline is something I would have to address, but I've got a $200 credit waiting at High Angle, so I'ld be halfway there.