Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np208 gasket!!!! ugh

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eclipse, Jan 22, 2005.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Ok so I had to replace my np208 in my 85 K10 which is a 4spd. So after I picked it up a I stopped at my local auto parts store and asked about a gasket for the t-case. They told me there wasn't one so I went home and installed it. Then someone told me there is suppose to be one between the 208 and the adapter. I let for Maui for a week with my K10 in my shop and when I returned I had a quart of fuild on the floor from the transefer case and it looks like it leaked out of the front where it bolts to the adapter. None of the auto part stores I have contacted in town can find if there is a gasket. So is there suppose to be a gasket between the 208 and the adapter? Or could my input shaft seal be leaking up there? :confused:

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes there is a gasket...mine came in the bearing/seal kit...I F'd it up lifting that heavy sob back into place, so I cleaned the surfaces and used RTV...let it skin over about 45 minutes while I did other things...gave it another go, and buttoned it all up....No leaks for about 3 weeks now... www.nationaldrivetrain.com if you feel you really need one

Also, when I took mine apart, there was only a couple Tablespoons of fluid that dripped out from there...and that was Before I replaced all the seals/bearings...

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I get mine at my local tranny shop. He has tons. Sometimes he charges me!!

5. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Last time I dropped the t-case, I damaged mine. I ended up making one out of gasket material because the dealer was the only one that carried it and they wanted $10 for it and the gasket material was $3 for around 3ft. of it. Just an idea.

Ray