Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 gurus!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Jun 5, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Help is needed, I just got back from checking out a truck that my buddy was looking at. It was a 1984 with a 350-th400-208
    with 10 bolt and SF14. dual tanks with hitch, the interior was nice with the usual cracked dash. There were some wire grimlens which every used truck has,LOL.
    But there was an annoying amount of "slop" in the drivetrain when getting on and off the gas, even at slow speeds. I got out and checked and I could turn the driveline about a 1/4 turn but the u joints were tight. Can there be that much slop in a 208 or is the rear pinion shot too? there was WAY too much movement occuring.
    The asking price was like $2,200 OBO so is it worth it to get it and rebuild the 208?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I would check into the rear end a little more. jack up the back of the truck and then see how far you have to turn the driveshaft before the wheels will turn. That will show how much of that slop is in the rear end. Now don't hold me to this, but I think that you would only feel the slop in the T-case while in 4wd (due to chain slop) when operating in 2wd, there are only shafts from trans to driveshaft, no chains (but honestly I don't know much about T-cases)

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I was seeing movement on both ends, but with the 208 being chain I figured the chain was loose. If he was to install new gears ( for the tires he plans on running) will that elminate the slop?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The chain in a 208 only drives the front output shaft. The rear is driven by gears. So changing the chain won't have an effect on the slop out back. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Does the truck have a Detroit Locker in the back? They have quite a bit of slop designed into them and will allow around a quarter turn of slop at the pinion. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a Detroit. I think mine has at least .25" of slop if not more.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

It has the stock "G80" gov-loc, but I was getting the slop at the t-case. I was under it and turning the driveline by hand and I have been in 3 rigs with detriots and none of them made this much noise, I was waiting for the driveline to fall out,LOL.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

gov lok might be going bad...mine did something similar as far as slop and i couldnt figure it out...one day i started hearing a click...now that was trouble...i destroyed the gov lok

Later

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

so basicly all he needs is a rear detriot or even an open carrier when he gets the new gears and it should be fine?

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i would think so...i went to a rear detroit in a 14ff and i can only turn the driveshaft a little bit while on the ground in park...im not an expert but i would think the gov lok might be ready to go

Later