Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np208 Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Nov 7, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I've got an NP208 with the slip-yoke (damn it:mad: ). I know nobody makes a SYE kit for it, so if I bought a 208 with out the slip-yoke can I just bolt it in and replace the rear shaft??? It is for a 81 K10 sub with a 14blt rear (replaced the factory 12blt). Might be a dumb question but just want to make sure before I get one.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Tom woods makes a SYE for the 208. Pretty sure it comes with a new rear shaft too.

You could run a dodge 208 ( ford or jeep won't work, output is on the wrong side), but it's not a straight bolt in, the dodge's clocking is about 90 degrees off. So you'd need a clocking ring. And change the input gear. Dodges use 23 spline inputs and chevy's are either 27 or 32 spline. Maybe makes some changes to the shift linkage.

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is a dodge fixed yoke NP208 in the forsale section.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

And I don't have any money :(

5. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Anybody know where I can just buy a complete tcase without the slip-yoke????

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Not really sure what you are asking, but I think the answer is no.

Rebuilt dodge 208's are available, but as stated before, are not direct bolt in's.

I doubt that anybody is selling rebuilt bolt in 208's or even 241's with the SYE already installed. I could be wrong. It's not a Jeep where you can call most 4wd shops and get a rebuilt/new 231 with a SYE.

7. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

No I'm not looking for a 208 with the sye installed I'm looking for just a 208 that didn't come from the factory with a slip-yoke. I might be wrong but I think gm made NP208s without slip-yokes but right before they switched to the 241 they started putting slip-yokes on them.

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Well, good luck finding one, considering GM never made one.

9. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Well Damn!!! Then what would be the next best thing. What t-case (with out a slip-yoke) would be the easiest to swap in. NP205???? I know I could buy an Atlas but realy don't want to spend that kind of money right now.

10. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

So I'm confused. I'm another guy who is sticking with a 208 and may have too much traval for the original slip yoke in the near future. Is it possible to Use the Dodge parts to change your chev 208 to eliminate the slip yoke?

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Yes it is. I don't know the particulars as I haven't found a dodge 208 to make it fit or try it out.

mollyman:

A 205 from a th350 with the correct adapter would more than likely bolt up to your current trans (which I ASSume to be a th350).

12. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Anybody else have any particulars of adapting dodge 208 parts to a chev 208? What problems I might have?