Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 Leaking a bit ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woodpecker, Oct 30, 2000.

1. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

Well, among the list of things that I need to learn how to fix appears to be the transfer case. I bought it knowing that some of the sillicon was getting old, and some fluid loss was occuring. The mechanic had suggested simply cleaning the seam, and applying some more silicon to slow down the problem (he knows that I'm broke-ass poor). Although it's only a band-aid fix, I'm wondering what other solutions are out there.

If anyone's dealt with this issue, what have you done and did it work?

thanks

2. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

You could tear it apart and put a new bead of permatex or something on it. I'm sure that would last a long time. My slip yoke has leaked for years, I loose a very small amount over several months. unless it's a pretty large leak, that's alot of work for .85 cents worth of tranny fluid every few months.

"who dares wins"

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well I would go with the mechanics adivce till you get the $$$$$ to get it sealed right. Remeber that if you are going to just spot seal you need to make sure the surface is absolutely clean. The silicon wont really stick to anything oily. Just drain your case and let it sit without the plug for a few hours. Plug it up again and hit the case with a warm H20/detergent wash. Dry it off and go at it again a degreaser. After that you should just be able to seal it like a bath tub. At this point its worth the extra time to just seal the whole thing. Total material cost should be more than $12 and a sat. afternoon. Its best to drain the case in the evening the day before you plan to work on it. You get up and its ready to be pluged and sealed. The next morning you can fill it up and go. I had to do this to mine. I used an epoxy resin on it though.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Where is your case leaking from? My seals have always given me a problem, espescially the rear slip joint. To take the rear housing off isn't to big a deal. I removed mine and just put a new bead of RTV on and tightened it back up.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim