Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 leaking suspiciously...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Jun 1, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I was greasing my rear u-joints last night, nursing them along until Monday when I'm changing them, and I noticed that the bottom of the body tub above the t-case output was wet & oily-looking. A closer look showed that the output yoke is wet with (I think...) ATF. BUT, it's ONLY the yoke that's wet, not the portion of the shaft that passes thru the lip seal at the end of the housing. The lip seal is dry as well. It's a slow leak; the fluid level is still good. My question: Is it possible for fluid to make its way, internally, thru the shaft and yoke and out of the case? Is there a seal somewhere that's going bad? Do I need a new output yoke? Do I (gulp..) need a new t-case?

I really need some guidance on this. I'm tearing into the u-joints on Monday, so if there's other stuff that needs replaced, I'd like to be able to get parts and figure out a game plan. Thanks in advance for your help!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

I got to know the anwser to this one. You described an age old problem of mine perfectly. Mine has a nice shiny spot on the floor pan where the yoke spashes it around, and there's always a bead about to drip off the yoke.

Like yours mine never shows sign of a leak elsewhere, & I replaced the rear seal, & my real seal was & is still dry as well!

Rick
    86 K-5
    http://www.coloradok5.com/RMcPherson.htm

3. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

mine does the same. started doing it after my lift. there is a steel "plug" at the end of the yoke that probably isn't as tight as it once was. i jacked up the rear (so i dont get fluid all over the place), pulled the yoke, cleaned it up and sure enough, i could blow air through it. i threw a post up last year and was recommended to clean it out as good as possible, and stuff some jb weld or similar material in there. i ended up taking some thick cotton cut to size and layering it in there. it lasted a while, but its doing it again. im gonna run it into the driveshaft shop probably tomorrow to see what they can do. ill keep ya posted.

EODBRIAN