Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208-linkage? fixed...still pops out of gear?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Troopie's Tonka, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

Ok here we go. Before, if i was in 4H it would pop up into 2H while i was wheeling. didn't know about linkage, so i just wheeled in 4L(it would stay) and every once in a while while i am in 2H, it would totally pop out of gear. I would have to stop, bring it down to 4L til it grinded, then back up to 2H and I was good to go. Yesterday I finally adjusted the linkage. It stays in 4H no problem. but in 2H it still pops out of gear. Mostly when I am cruising on the highway in overdrive at 60mph or more, as soon as I let off the gas I hear a grinding noise then I'm not in gear anymore. I stop, go to 4H, it grinds, back to 2H and I am good to go. What is the deal? My bro in law said something about a fork in the tcase. any opinions? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My bro in law said something about a fork in the tcase. any opinions

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep..Sounds to me that the bushing's wore out. Your gonna have to crack the case open to see what's goin on. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Troopie's Tonka

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Your gonna have to crack the case open to see what's goin on.

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry, still sorta new at this stuff. I know crap about opening that thing up and looking around. i've heard something about bearings falling out all over the place? maybe i'll build up enough courage one day to try it, or find someone to help me. BUT UNTIL THEN, can I take the front driveshaft off and keep it in 4H to drive around town without overworking anything or breaking stuff? Got a 4 hour trip to make monday and I am getting tired of pulling over ever 10 minutes to play the shifting game. My nephew hasn't seen Tonka yet, he'd be really excited to see it. Plus the ride would be boring if I have to take the ram. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

It is definately the fork bushings! My 208 did the exact same thing. I just bought a new fork for $27 and put it in and hadnt had a prob since. And yes the bearings will fall, all 120 needle bearings! It took me all of about 3.5 hours to rebuld mine. Just be sure when you get the new fork, ask them for some red tranny grease not oil so you can stick the needle bearings to the shaft while your putting it back together. I bought my fork at a transmission and gear place, not a parts store. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Troopie's Tonka

Thanks, now I know what to look for. Never opened up a tcase before...hmm..never really opened up anything before except the diff, to look inside and see what it looks like /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It doesn't seem too complicated though. Tell me if I'm wrong, drain all the fluid, drop both drive shafts, unbolt it from the undercarriage, and open it up? I should be able to figure out what I'm looking for once I open it up right? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Troopie's Tonka

ok, on my 4 hour trip, 30 minutes down the road i already had to pull off 4 times to play with the tcase to put it back in gear. got tired of it, pulled the front driveshaft off, kept it in 4H and drove 10 hours with no problem at all. So, are we still looking at the fork bushing?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have you checked the fluid level yet? My 208 liked to play games when it was low on fluid.

8. Troopie's Tonka

hmmm...should I feel stupid now? I know its a little low, but haven't got around to filling it up. I'll do it this weekend and try that. Hopefully that's it, if not, oh well i'll open it up one day and take a look