Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 Linkage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZK5, May 19, 2003.

1. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

I was out wheelin the other day, And I got out to see how bad my tires just ate my front fenders /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif when I noticed a leak from my t-case. A crack had formed around where the linkage enters the T-case. Best I can figure is that being that that the shifter is bolted to the floor of the truck and with all the flexin and twistin going on that it tried to shove the shifter farther past than it was ment to go thus stress craking the case.
    It's a minor crack and I have since welded it.

Has that happened to anone else?

My truck has had a bad habbit of popping out of 4hi ever since I put in the bodylift. And I have yet to figure out how to fix this shifter once and for all. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it cable operated like modifying a ratchet shifter OR making a bracket to bolt the shifter directly to the tranny so it can move with the drivetrain instead of the body.

Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    My truck has had a bad habbit of popping out of 4hi ever since I put in the bodylift.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did you make the linkage longer when you installed the body lift? You increased the distance between the shifter and the t-case, so you need to account for that change. Then all should be well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Yes, That was the obvious fix. But the problem is isn't with the linkage length it's the fact that the shifter is bolted to the floor of the truck, So what's happening is when I twist up the truck one way the shifter is actualy pulling away from the t-case and that's how it pulls it out of 4 hi, and when it's twisted up the opposite way the shifter is pulled closer to the t-case and it wants to shove the linkage farther than it was meant to go. This is how the case got cracked. The fork in the t-case had no where to go so it tried to push the stop thru the case.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, but all 208's are like that and I've never heard of anyone else breaking the case like yours did. Did you lengthen the shift linkage? Are all the body bolts properly tightened? Are your body mounts so rusted that the body is moving more than it should?

5. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Yes again and Yes. I know, it seemed a bit strange to me to. That's why I was asking if this had happened to anyone else. I've checked out the engine mounts, tranny mount & boddy mounts and everything is tight. I'm beginning to wonder if I f'd something up inside the case. I think I'm gonna just pull it down and open it up. But everything seems to work fine with it, I can still engage it and it don't make any noise. I think the best thing to do is to make a braket to bolt the shifter to and then bolt the whole thing off the tranny, this way everything is straight and moves together. And just use a shift boot inside the truck instead of the factory crap.