Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 mech. speedo swap into NP241?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dieselandmud, Feb 6, 2006.

1. dieselandmud

dieselandmud Registered Member

I'm having trouble locating a NP241 out of a 89' blazer or burb for my 86' K-10. I would like to know if I could remove the mech. speedo gear out of my current NP208 and swap it into a 90'-91' NP241. If I do find one I will be installing a SYE kit.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know the answer about the swap, but the other option is to ditch the speedo cable and swap the cluster for electronic. That's not a hard thing to do.

I have been told that the output shaft is the same for all 205's, (except I bet early ones that probably used a machined speedo gear) even though the '90-91 uses VSS like the 241 does. The splined section on the shaft is apparently the same either way, the speedo gear was just replaced with the reluctor ring. Perhaps that holds true 208-241? But the output shaft housing is a bit different on the 205, as the VSS is mounted in a different place, at least compared to my '74 205.