Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 mix and match

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sope, Nov 29, 2006.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I have searched for this topic but haven't really got the answeres from previous threads.

I'm thinking about a SYE for my 208. I have seen in previos threads that both dodges and fords have fixed yoke 208's. I'm not really interested in clocking a dodge t case to fit so I'd like to use doner parts from a ford or dodge for my chev t case. In my search I have read thet people have used the back half of a dodge on their chevs. Has anyone here done this? I have access to a ford fixed yoke 208 but I havent seen it. Does anyone know if you can use just the tail section so the drivers side drop from the ford won't matter. Also is there a difference in length and what U joints do they use? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    James

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im still in the process of putting mine together, but you can't use the dodge tail housing on the back half of the chevy chain case. the dodge tail housing will only fit the dodge back half. the dodge back half will only fit the chevy front half with modification. you have to weld a bung for the shift rod on the dodge back half as its located in a slightly different spot.

im not sure with anything on the ford. but i do know the chain case and chain is alot longer than the chevy/dodge chain case and chain so that won't fit at all.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've heard you can swap the Chevy Input gear into the Dodge case - but then the clocking angle is wrong so you gotta clock it - which probably needs to be done anyway.

disclaimer: ... I don't know this.... this is only what I've heard.

** edit ** :doah: just read that you didn't wanna do this..... sorry!

Marv

4. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I've got a wanted post on my local 4x4 board for a dodge 208 but no luck yet. I'm going to be inboarding my rear shocks within the next couple of weeks and will probably have to do my drive shaft mods then due to more rear axle drop. I may just end up lengthening it but figured this is the time for the sye.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  5. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Ive messed with the Dodge/GM 208s some and you may have seen these pictures before in your search.

The info stated above is correct about the tail housing clocking being all wrong between the Dodge and GM.
    On this case I drilled and tapped the shift rod and added a stud to avoid welding a bung to support the rod.I just drilled a hole thru the case after making a tip punch out of threaded rod to locate the hole correctly.You will need to add a shim to the stud to take up space and preload the spring.

I have been playing with the Dodge/GM 241s just recently and would recommend them over the 208 after comparing planetary gear strenght differences!

IMG00007.jpg

IMG00008.jpg

6. marv_springer

Interesting...... :thinking: I didn't realize the 241's had significant changes. Are the gears larger?

Have you ever seen the planetary gears fail in a 208?

Marv

7. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I have 2 trucks with 400/208s in them and have no problems with that transfer but I really dont abuse them.I did have 1 208 that had an exploded planetary but I dont know the story behind it,I bought it for the 32spline input.
    Theres alot of 241s in the junkyards now for cheap and after tearing a Dodge fixed yoke down to install a 32spline input in it noticed how much stronger the planetary set was compared to 208s besides having alittle better low range and better oiling system.

Look at the pictures, the 208 planet set is on the right.Its stamped out steel bent and welded together with four pinions vs the 241s heavy cast steel with 6 pinions.

Also theres a picture of my Dodge 241 with 32spline input and clocking ring.

I know you got a thing for them 208s Marv but something consider:laugh:

IMG00001.jpg

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00002.jpg

IMG00006.jpg

8. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

I am running a complete dodge np208 with the chevy input swapped in. It is clocked up flat and seems to work fine. 1 hole doesnt line up for mounting but that doesnt appear to be a problem. I tried a clockign ring from great lake offroad and was able to get it to clock to the stock position with all 6 bolts installed, however it leaked like a mofo. I reasealed it 3 times and it leaked everytime. I ditched the clocking ring and went back to being clocked flat and it has worked fine.

9. marv_springer

You're right..... I'm on the foreskin of 208 durability testing... :haha:

You're also right that the 6 gear planet looks far superior....

But I'm learning something....... so keep talking.

So, help me assemble the ultimate [cheap] pass side drop chaincase.

1) start w/ a Dodge 208, swap in a 32 spline input and planetaries from a Chevy 241?

or,

2) Start w/ a Chevy 241 and .....

Wait a minute.... :doah: I'm confused.

Marv

10. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah,Some of that stuff can get confusing unless your looking at it.

The ultimate cheap chaincase is the one you have!.....If it aint broke dont fix it.:laugh:

Talk of a fixed yoke 208 comes up here all the time and I quess my ramblings were to point out that a 241 might be a better case to devote your efforts on and still get out cheap now that those cases are plentiful.

Heres my take on the options:

If you want a clocked fixed yoke use a Dodge with correct spline GM input and custom clocking ring.

If you dont want to clock it use the GM 241 and buy a SYE kit or get a mainshaft from a Dodge 241 and fab a seal retainer for the rear output.

I`m not a big fan of clocking rings at least not the cheap ones out there because they do have some issues one pointed out above.You could make a good quality one on a lathe just for your needs that puts the pilot back on there and replaces the factory input seal retainer and never have a problem with it!

11. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot guys. Lot's of info here. I've got 2 chev 208's right now and a nice tubed cross member and shield for a 208 so I'll be sticking with it. After reading about all the screwing around and or mony to sye one I think I've decided to forget it and just lengthen my drive shaft. This will do untill I decide on some sort of doubler. A few more questions about the 241. Is it a direct bolt in, and do they come with a 32 spline for a 465, and what U joint size?