Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 noise?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stock93, Dec 13, 2004.

1. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

I have an 83 K10 I just put manual hubs on. When in 4 low the transfer case is making noises now. I dont know if it had anything to do with the hubs or not. It doesnt make any noises in 4 high. It pops like its binding up or something. The poping it evenly spaced and happens even if I'm coasting. Any ideas?

John

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Your not driving arround on the street in 4wd are you?

3. leadvillek5

leadvillek5 Registered Member

kinda sounds like the plastic shift fork buttons in the t case are gone. but i could be wrong my 241 tcase made the same noise and thats what it ended up being. the 208 and 241 are vey similarin designbut the 241 has a better oil pump and a few other things that i cant remeber right now. or it could be the low range gears

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Make sure the front driveshaft isn't rubbing the crossmember. IF it is, look into new bushings to mount the transfer/transmission.
    Blake

5. stock93

No I'm not driving around on the street in 4. Its doing this off road. The shift buttons would make sense being that its feeling like its not really going into 4low like it used to. I had a leak and lost some fluid as well if thats any help.

Thanks
    John

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I put my lockers in my truck the transfer case would pop like a popcorn machine under hard acceleration or turning in 4 low. It turned out to be a worn out chain.

7. stock93

I dont think it would do this only in 4 low if it was the chain would it? It doesnt make any noise in 4 hi. I have open diffs front and rear. Thanks for the suggestions.

John

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With the planetary multiplying the torque by 2.61 it can cause all sorts of neat things to happen.

The thing I find strange is that it does it while coasting.