Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 poping into neutral while in 2wd.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 96chevysfa, Jan 29, 2003.

1. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

well, recently, my np208 t case has been poping into neutral when driving. it always does it on a hard brake. when it happens there is sorta winning/grinding noise, and i cant get into gear 2wd, or 4hi, but 4 low works. to get it back into gear, the only thing that works is putting it into 4 lo, then into drive, then reverse, and it pops out of 4 lo and into neutral, then the high gears work. i dont k now whats going on with this thing, help please /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: np208 poping into neutral

time for a new range selector fork....it will require tearing into the case...not that bad of a job overall

3. 96chevysfa

this t-case only has had 10k since total rebuild, it started happening after i had the linkage adjusted, and i took it back and they said they fixed it, but its still screwing up.

4. 96chevysfa

btt

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This happened after the Linkage was adjusted ??? is it hitting the body??? maybe your body bushings are wore out and when you brake the body hits the linkage and knocks it out of gear I'm on my third 208 in 2 months I'm gonna swap to a 205 as soon as my other truck is done so I have something to drive to work while I do the swap /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine had the exact same problem just a few weeks ago. Tried adjusting the linkage time after time to no avail. we were almost totally convinced it needed a new range fork. Changed the transfer case fluid to see if any chunks of metal etc showed up and noticed hardly any fluid came out. Filled it back up with dexron III until it started oozing out the top and he hasn't had a problem since.

Maybe you'll be as lucky /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BowtieBlazer

Not to be ignorant or call bluffs on anyone but a t-case rebuild kit does not include shift and range selector forks. If they did rebuild it and it keeps popping out of gear maybe the bushings came off the range selector fork somehow. What I do know is the more it pops out or gets popped out during braking, by misadjusted linkage whatever, it is putting excessive wear on parts. Do you have any body lift? I know as posted above bodylift and bad body mounts can always make adjusting a 208 that much more difficult. Any other info you can provide will help.

8. 96chevysfa

i have no body lift and the body mounts are fairly new. ill take it back to the shop that built the t-case cus its still on warrantee. but till then, im gonna have to live with it till mon.

9. 96chevysfa

update- well tonite when i was driving it happened again, so i put it into 4lo to get off the street. then i tried to put it back into 2wd, and it would still be in 4 lo, no matter what the shifter said, every position was 4 lo, and the linkage was still connected tot the lever, it wasnt free. so i ended up driving home (5 miles) in 4 lo, and about 3.5 miles down the rode it poped into neutral again, and this time 2wd started working. i got the shop tot ake my truck in tomorow to see whats going on. what do you think is wrong? is it just the linkage or internal.

10. BowtieBlazer

Sounds internal, I'd definately bring it back to the shop and hopefully they stand by their work.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would also agree it sounds like internal. Maybe I am missing something, but on my 208 you would have to shift through 4HI to get to nuetral from 2HI. It isn't simply popping one "gear", so to speak. If it is going all the way from 2HI through 4HI then into nuetral, I would say it is internal. If it were simply going from 2HI to 4HI or 4HI to neutral or 4HI to 2HI (like mine tends to do), then it would be linkage issues. But going from 2HI through 4HI to neutral would inicate to me something ain't right inside.

12. 96chevysfa

none of this happened till i asked them to adjust the t-case linkage, could that have done something to cause this?

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I won't say it couldn't, but I would think unlikely. Think of a 10-speed bicycle. If the gear alignment tsuff isn't quite right, then you may have problems with it jumping down a gear or up. But only one gear. What you have described is going from one gear (2HI), through the next gear (4HI), to a third gear (neutral). When this happens, does your shifter move all the way into the neutral position?

I had an old manual 3 speed on a 72 2WD pickup I used to drag. I used to get the shifter jammed between gears. This would make it act like neutral as the tranny was between gears (not actually in neutral). I would have to get under it with a hammer or something to bang it back into one gear or the other. You could have something like this going on inside your tcase.

14. 96chevysfa

no, the shifter does not move at all when it pops into neutral. even when it was stuck in the 4lo gear, the shifter was all the way uip at 2wd.

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Then that means one of two things is happening. Either your shifter has come loose from the linkage allowing the truck to shift without the handle reflecting it, or the shift handle and linkage is not moving and something inside is moving that shouldn't be. My guess is the latter. And, if that is the case, stop driving it as soon as possible. Anything moving inside a tranny or tcase that isn't supposed to move or that shouldn't move on its own can cause REAL SERIOUS DAMAGE. My recommendation is you need to open it up ASAP.

16. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

There's a spring in the case that puts tension on the fork assembly to keep it from jumping. The fork in the back control 2 or 4 wheel. The big fork up front gives your low/hi range. I would take the case apart and see if everything is kosher. That spring sits on a shaft and has a little cup on the end that would touch against the case. Without the spring holding things in place, your forks can walk.

I just got done piecing back together a worn out dodge case with a bad fork. I used the wrong fork up front and the thing would get into 4 lo and not come back /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Those forks are touchy!

17. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing a few years back. I'm almost positive it's a bad shift fork, or selector fork as others have called it. Hope you get if figured out.

18. 96chevysfa

well, it turned out to be the fork bushings or shoes, whatever those small things are called. seems to me like a time to upgrade to a np 205