Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 Q - runout and end play

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Mar 22, 2007.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

In the context of rebuilding my NV4500 I noticed a few areas of concern on my 208 as follows and am looking for some feedback as to whether it's time to rebuild it as well...

1) The front ouput flange has palpable radial free play/runout. I assume that means the output bearing and seal need replacement?

2) The mainshaft has significant fore/aft end play when decoupled from the NV4500, on the order of 1/8 to 1/4". I assume that means there is a wasted bearing or snap ring on the mainshaft?

3) Recommendations on a source for complete rebuild kits in the NW?

4) Special tools I'll need for rebuild? e.g. press, snap ring pliers, gear pullers, etc?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

208's are easy to rebuild. The only special tool that is helpful is a set of big snapring plyers. I have rebuilt 2 without the big snapring plyers but it was more of a PITA. You can get rebuild kits from places like Drivetrain.com, ebay, etc. You don't have to press any bearings or anything which is nice. Get the exploded diagram from Pauly383 and rip it apart. Just be careful when you go to seperate the rear half of the mainshaft from the front half. There are about 80 needle bearings that will go everywhere if you aren't careful. I learned that the hard way.

Harley

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the milage on the chain. Any way to empirically measure it for stretch?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I believe the number is anything over 1/2" play needs to be replaced. I am not 100% sure on that number though.

Harley