Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np208 question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Is this transfer case a shift on the fly case. If so what steps and precautions should I take when doing it

2. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

So long as your going from 2 to 4 HI. come to a stop before going into low range and youll be fine.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Though the 208 does have synchronisers, I wouldnt shift in between 4hi and 2hi above a few miles an hour. I usually have to try and nudge it into gear a few times before it will go. I dont know what that will do if you are moving, might make a lettle noise. I always do it at a complete a stop. To each his own though...

4. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Yea, it may be techincialy "shift on the fly" but I woudln't recomend it. I always come to a complete stop before putting into 4HI. And neutral to get into 4L obviously. It's not a 40,000 truck with electronic **** of the fly so I try to to treat it like one. :screwy:

You could always check the owners manual, I don't have mine with me, but that will explain how to use the 4WD.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

You can shift on the fly.. but how often is it really needed. If you need to, then it's fine, it won't hurt it.But if you don't have to do it, I'd just stop. Like mentioned, if you need to go to low, then put your tranny in nuetral.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If the hubs are already locked, then pretty much any t-case is shift on the fly. :rolleyes: I can shift my 205 in and out of 4WD at 50 MPH with ease. Everything is already spinning at the same speed, shifting to 4WD just links it all together.

On my 208/241 rigs I can shift in and out at speed, even without the front end engaged. :eek1: The synchros bring things up to speed and then the front diff engages. It's actually MUCH easier to shift while moving than while sitting still. I even try to be moving at least a little bit when shifting into 4 low. It just makes it easier for things to line up and mesh.

7. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

My owners manual might say you can shift on the fly while moving but the owner of the owners manual says I'm NOT :haha:

I have always stopped before engaging 4wd just out of habit.. I don't like the idea of shifting while moving and really have never found my self in a situation to do it with out stopping 1st..

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I guess it doesn't snow much where you are... :rolleyes: Around here we spend half the year shifting in and out. Dry road on the sunny side of the mountain, snow and ice on the shady side. :eek1: