Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 rear output yoke leak !?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fisher1648, Sep 5, 2002.

1. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

The rear yoke on my 1987 NP208 T-case began "leaking" a while back and I pulled it off and noticed that the center plug was dislodged and fluid was coming out slowly. I JB welded it back in place and that lasted quite a while. Recently, the plug "popped" out of place again ? My guess is that since the full level of the T-case fluid is actually a bit higher than the bottom of the output shaft (yoke) I'm getting hydraulic lock inside the yoke. When wheeling at a high nose up angle the yoke fills up and then compressing the rear drive line makes hydraulic lock inside the yoke - thus popping the plug. Is there an O-ring or anything I'm missing to keep the fluid from filling the yoke ?? I'm stumped !? mI'm affraid if I get a new yoke the same thing will happen.

Thanks, Eric

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You've just wollowed in the cons of the slip yoke design. There isn't a whole lot you can do about that. Replace the JBweld if you want. But a new slip yoke is about $80 and this will take care of the problem till you get the same number of miles you have on it now. You may also have the driveshaft too long. Also, in replacing the slip yoke...you may find that you'll get rid of a bit of slop in the driveline, and if like me, you'll get rid of a negative bind up upon releaseing the brakes after a substantial braking session. Mine would make a loud hard settling clunk once I released the brake to take off say from a stop light. The splines were so worn that with the motor turning and me braking the spline would have solid contact in one direction. Then releasing the brake would allow this pressure to release cause the splines to slam the other side of the splined valley wall.

Anyway, after confussing you, you may find it a worthy cost. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

Thanks for the input ! I was also thinking I may have the driveshaft too long (it's extended)as you mentioned and when I pull the yoke off I should be able to tell if that's the case because the JB weld should be disturbed in the splines behind the plug. Either way, I think a new yoke is due.