Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by project84k5, Sep 21, 2004.

1. project84k5

project84k5 Registered Member

how hard is it to rebuild a 208, my chaine is so loose i can hear and feel it slap the case when i let off the gas? any details would be greatly appreciated! or should i just swap in a 241 and be done with it?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its not hard at all . Jaysbeast and I did it on our first try . We only had to refer to a pic once . All I can say is to use some thick grease to hold the needle bearings in place . Of course the np241 is a drop in , but they are getting harder to find with the speedo gear , as it was a one year deal for that , unless you don't care for a speedo , or go electric speedo and use a 90 or 91 np241 .

I say rebuild it , it is a good experience . Heres a breakdown . You can see where you can use Dodge and Ford inners to do away with the slip shaft , but you also do away with the syncros for shift on the fly in high /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. project84k5

project84k5 Registered Member

thanks for the reply, i really needed those diagrams, that is going to be a huge help, so thanks again for that. i just dont want to pull this thing out and get half in to it and realize im over my head. its still a DD for now! thanks again for all the help!!

Ryan

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Wanna extra Np208 ?

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You can see where you can use Dodge and Ford inners to do away with the slip shaft , but you also do away with the syncros for shift on the fly in high

[/ QUOTE ]

The conversion to get rid of the slip shaft is not as simple as taking apart 2 cases and reassembling differently. The shift rails are "clocked" slightly differently between the Chevy and fixed-yoke styles. This requires some welding and machining to the back part of the case. Once this is done, though, it's as easy as just re-assembling all the right parts, Like this: [​IMG]

6. pauly383

Thanks for clarification /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    i just dont want to pull this thing out and get half in to it and realize im over my head. its still a DD for now!

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't take long . Not counting the time we took to talk to Marv , it wasn't that long . And as for doing it yourself and having it safe and functional , I have about 2 months and 5000 miles on it and its fine . Go for it . And if someone wants to give you another for parts etc , go for that too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif