Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 ????'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trikstark5, Jun 28, 2004.

1. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

NP208 ????\'s

I have a '88 K5 and it sounds like the transfer case is going to come throught the floor and eat my feet. I am looking to rebuild it since it has 162,000 miles on it. I am looking for any information on where I can buy a parts break down of the transfer case, and where do you guys recommend on buying the rebuild kit from? Also, has anyone done a rebuild yet and what should I be careful of? Thanks in advance..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: NP208 ????\'s

I have never had my T-case apart but mine is an NP241 which was used starting in 89. You may want to look for a 241 instead since they are a little better t-case than the 208 and also you can buy over the counter SYE kits for them, they also have 2.72 low range gearing instead of the 2.61 gearing of the 208 and it is a direct replacement. Just make sure you get a 89 version so you don't have troubles with speedo cable since 90 and later are electric speedo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

208 are so cheap, I'd probably buy one b4 I rebuilt one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Rebuilding one is not terribly though. I did it with very little problems. You can get yourlocal GM dealer to print you off an exploded view of the parts in the 208. Parts are available threw GM and I also got parts from Drivetrain.com

Only real thing to be careful of is keeping your parts in order and when you pull out the mainshaft out of the case and start to seperate things there is about 80 needle bearings in there. So when you pull the mainshaft out make sure you do it over a clean area where needle bearings won't bounce away and get lost. I learned the hard way and had to crawl around the garage floor for an hour looking for all those little bastards.

No special tools needed. I did mine with all normal hand tools.

Harley

5. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses. I think I just might look into a NP241, and if that doesn't work out, I can always look further into rebuilding the 208. Thanks again... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif