Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 slips out of 2H during abrupt stops.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Jul 11, 2005.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I recently swapped to a TH400/NP208 after my 700R4 went out. The 400/208 was of unknown origin/ condition (but it looked as though it had been sitting a while) so I had the 400 rebuilt before going in, I left the 208 alone. After installation, when I pulled the plugs on the 208 to change the fluid I found a small white plastic L-shaped piece in the bottom :doah: . I figured it was a shift guide of some sort, but decided to see how things worked without it. Things seemed fine for a while, but recently it has started slipping out of 2H during abrubt stops. The shift lever does not move inside the cab and the linkage is connected tightly. In order to get it to move again I have to put the trans in N, shift into 4L, put it into gear and move a little, then shift back into 2H and everything's fine. It doesn't do this on every hard stop, just occasionally. The body/ engine/ transmission mounts seem to be good. I have tried adjusting the t-case linkage a couple of times and even leaving a little slop in it, but the intermittent problem seems to be unaffected.

So I guess the first question is, what is wrong with my t-case :confused: ?

Secondly, what should I do about it? I'm a college student, so money and time are a concern. Unfortunately, I can't just swap in a 203/205 like I want to. I'm guessing that adjusting the linkage isn't going to fix it, huh? I still have the 27 spline 208 from my 700R4 (despite 216K miles it worked great when pulled). So, should I buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the 32 spline 208? Swap input shafts and run the 208 from my old 700R4? Or fix whatever is wrong with the 32 spline 208 and call it done (don't know if the parts are even available individually, but everything else about it seems fine)?

Thanks in advance :bow: . Links to write-ups or pictures on how to do all this crap would be greatly appreciated too :D .

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had this exact same problem once. The whole story (including the solution) is HERE

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Yep, sounds like I'm in the same boat as you were. Thanks for the link.

So, what's the easier/ cheaper/ better option to fix this: fixing the range fork (where can I buy a replacement/ will it come with new pads), or swapping input shafts and running my old t-case?

I know my way around a shop, but I've never been inside a transfer case before. Could somebody hold my hand and walk me through this like it's my first day at kindergarten :crazy: ?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Don't be scared of it , an exploded diagram , some beer , a friend , and a little patience when the needle bearings come out is all you need .

I bought a good case from a member and swapped my input shaft ( bought 32 spline dirt cheap ) , had basically no trouble . Wouldn't of taken too long , but Marv was over talking up some cool dual case ideas with Jay and I :D

The needle bearings went in if I remember right with a little grease , and the first set in and then when they were held by the thingy around them we slipped the others in over top , hard to explain but if you have a good mindset you will do this no problems .

If you find a matching case thats known to be good , then its just remove and replace !