Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 Tailhousing removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I picked up a used 208 to replace mine. The new case has a piece cracked out of the rear tailhousing where the rear seal goes. I want to swap my old tailhousing onto this new case. I removed the bolts for on the new case, but can't get the rear housing off.

I can't get anything into the joint to pry it off (also affraid I will crack the aluminum). I am also affaid to heat the housing because of the plastic parts inside the tailhousing. How should I go about getting of the old tailhousing? Thanks for any input.

Harley

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If I remember right, remove the speedo gear. It's on the passenger side of the housing.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I did remove the speedo gear. My problem is I can't get anything in the crack to pop the case open. it is sealed with RTV and the gap is to small to get anything into. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Harley

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm trying to remember. Don't think anything came off the shaft....Hmmm, did ya get all the bolts off?

It's been awhile since I took mine off and don't remember having any trouble.

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I gently tap on the fins with a hammer to get the tail housing to spin a bit. Then it comes right off. I have not broke one yet.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

id reccomend a rubber or rawhyde hammer, steel banging on aluminum might have some consiquenses. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif