Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 Tailshaft Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well the battle of the leaks contiues once again in the '82. I took the T-case apart and redid the silicone on the case halves to stop that leak. If you have an older Blazer and have never opened it up you're in for a surprise. The little magnet had collected a ton of the metal flakes that accumulate over time. The thrust washer and another one was laying in the bottom of the case too (not my doing, but I'm glad I found them). Anyways I was trying to pull the whole back half of the case off to put on my silicone so I could do a real neat job but I couldn't get it off. I pulled on that thing for a while but couldn't budge it. I'd get it almost all the way off but it would always hold up on the end. I pulled with some strength but not alot of force, never used a hammer or anything damaging to the aluminum. Anyways I got my silicone on with the halves pulled open a few inches and resambled it.

Now I would like to fix the leak comming from the rear driveshaft. I changed the rear oil seal but still no luck, so it must be the bushing. I would like to take off just the tailshaft and take it down to get a new bushing put in (I don't have the tools to do the installation of the bushing correctly). Does anyone have any tips to get this off with out getting held up. Should out take out the speedometer gear assembly because i didnt the first try. I'd also like to change the front seal too and that should about as easy the rear one.

Thanks [​IMG]

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to remember how I did mine. I was in a serious bout of frustration. I think I just undid the 5(?) bolts that hold it on. Tapped it with a piece of wood. I dont remember taking of the speedo gear but thats not hard to do. The bushing wasn't too hard. Tapped it out with a screw driver and hammer, popped the new one in with a socket to shoulder correctly. Try tugging gently on the outpot shaft while you remove the tailshaft housing. Good luck.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to know that I don't have the only stubborn T-Case, it took a lot wiggling to get the back half cracked open. I didn't know the bushing was as easy as the rear seal. I used a socket for the rear seal and just put a rag on it so it wouldn't mar things up. What size socket did you use? I'm a little shy about using forcen the aluminum of the case, its kinda fragile. I about had a heart attack when I saw a stray line in the case when it turned out to be just a stray casting mark. I suppose I could order the seals through the transmission shop and they couldn't give some advice if I run into difficulty. Thanks man

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I wasn't trying to break it but I did hit it pretty forcefully. I have no idea what size I used, I just grabbed a handful of sockets and tested their fit. Same thing, just rag it and tap it into place.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim