Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 to NP 241 Swap... What do I need? (Have the 241)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foxman, May 11, 2004.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Just picked up a NP241, and want to replace my leaky 208... What is intailed? Anybody done one before?

Are they a match as far as the shafts/allignment goes? I know something would have to be done to switch the electronic sensor for speed... right?

Also Is there a slip yolk eliminator I should be looking at while I'm doing the job? I know some people swear by these things and I figure may as well cause I got the T-case for free...

Any helpful hints would be appreciated... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks

Jeremy

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its a direct bolt in, as long as both tcases came from the same tranny. not sure on the speedo part.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Also Is there a slip yolk eliminator I should be looking at while I'm doing the job? I know some people swear by these things and I figure may as well cause I got the T-case for free...

[/ QUOTE ]

ORD carries the SYE kit

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As long as the 241 came from behind a 700R4 then it will bolt up. If you do a SLE kit you will need to do driveshaft mods for the rear.

Harley

5. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

What about the speed sensor and electronic plug? How do I Get them to match up? I know there's a difference in the two tailshafts, just not sure what it is yet.

I was also going to replace the drive/driven gears in the NP 241 in order to correct the speedo reading.

anybody know if they the 208 to 241 swap requires anything other than time/fluid?

Thanks..

Jeremy

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you have a 241 and it is from a 700r4 and your 208 is behind a 700r4 it is a direct bolt in swap as long as your 241 is from an 89 and has a speedo gear. If your 241 is a 90 or newer you will need to replace the speedo housing and install a gear in place of the sensor ring. The output shafts are the same so it's all bolt on. If you need the speedo parts pm me. I have them on a 241 that came from my 89 Jimmywhich I'm keeping for a spare case for the 90 but don't need the speedo parts.

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Totally off topic but Wayne do you still have a frame from your old Jimmy or blazer. I will be needing one and thought I'd ask. I have a friend looking but I remembered you having one last year.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

No, when I was finishing up with it I found some serious rust in the frame at the front cab mounts so it was scrapped.

9. 300stw

300stw Registered Member

wayne interested in your speedo parts. am putting a 700r4 and a 241 in a 72 chevy if i can get the speedometer set up for the 241. email me 8mag@outdrs.net thanks