Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 transfer case help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by williamsondm, Oct 3, 2005.

1. williamsondm

williamsondm Newbie

I've got my tranfer case stuck in 4WD low. No matter what I've tried, I can't get it out of low. Is my transfer case shot? I have a full size 85 Chevy Blazer, 350 with 700R4 transmission. The transfer case was supposedly rebuilt when the transmission went out last year. I've adjusted on the linkage. The transmission will shift gears, but no matter what position the shift lever is in, it is always in low gear.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a mess.

Are you saying the shifter on the t-case moves through the selections, but is still in low no matter what range you select? :confused:

3. williamsondm

williamsondm Newbie

Np208

Yes. The lever moves forward or back. The transfer case will actually disengage if the lever is not all the way back into the 4WD position. No matter where the lever is, if it actually stays in gear, it is only in low gear. It will stay in 4WD low if the lever is pulled back. The transmission itself does shift through gears. From everyone I talked to, the transfer case is bad. This is the second rebuild on it in about 3 years. I've been deployed to Iraq twice during the time so the truck did not get many miles on either of the rebuild jobs. I think I'm going to replace it verses having it rebuilt. I'll go after the shop with a civil suite after I determine what went on with this one.

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

so, if you have it in 4hi and you hit a bump it will pop back into 2wd? mine did that too, but it was it wasnt fully engaged. i had to grind the shifter rail where 4hi is about a 1/4" so 4hi will be fully engaged. and my 4lo would always stay in gear. so, if that sounds like what yours is doing then try grinding the rail thing back alittle to make sure it fully engages.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I remember driving my truck home in low after that happened . In my case the pads were worn off the shift fork , and the fork itself was knife edged . I ended up with a 50 buck case from a local friend and put my input gear in with another friend since it was the wrong spline .

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It sounds like the range fork has been completely chewed off. You are probably getting in and out of gear with the mode fork. I wonder if it is shifts into 2WD LO when the lever is all the way forward.

If adjusting the linkage didn't help, it's time to tear into the case. It may need nothing more than some forks and pads to be fully operational again. I think that this kind of fork wear is due to improper linkage adjustment.

7. redneckboy35

redneckboy35 Newbie

ive got a full time 4wd transfer case and i need a 208 that fits a th350 tranny...if anyone has anything please get back!!!

8. silveradoreb

silveradoreb 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same thing, I ordered a 205 off ebay yeasterday to fix the problem

9. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I have a 27 spline 208 if you need one. It should bolt up to the 350. $75 plus shipping