Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208 trouble? please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

In searching down a "ticking" noise that I have been hearing lately at low speeds with windows down, I have been led to the transfer case. When I turn a rear wheel by hand, a periodic ticking seems to come from my NP208 (when I am laying underneath the truck). It is not very loud. I can only assume that having some torque through it makes it louder. I am also confused by Nuetral on the T-case. My front and rear driveshafts turn together in all settings except 2H. Is this normal and the Nuetral only disengages the T-case input? Is the ticking due to a worn chain? It ticks about twice for every driveshaft revolution. The U-joints and rearend seem the same as always.

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I dont know about the ticking, but i believe the front shaft should only turn in 4hi and 4low.

3. Blue85

I haven't checked yet whether the truck will move with the T-case set to neutral. I just know that when I turn one driveshaft by hand, the other one turns in all positions except 2H. I will try it out today to see if it is really in neutral.

4. Blue85

No other ideas?

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

208 and 241 style cases both are known to have problem with the shift forks. it could be the fork isn't moving the slider enough to completely disengage it from the 4wd mode.

6. Blue85

Thanks for the info. I do have 2WD and 4WD. I also have neutral. However, nuetral doesn't engage right in the "N" position, so maybe I need a linkage adjustment. Could it be that due a linkage misadjustment, something is rubbing and causing the noise? Maybe it's time to take the old girl down to do a rebuild and combine it with a Dodge fixed output 208. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Any other thoughts?