Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 tx case question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Sep 9, 2000.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

It looked like somebody got shot in my garage, turns out the rear seal on my transfer case (np208c) is leaking onto the rear drive shaft yoke. How hard is it to get at and then swap this part out?

"who dares wins"

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's not too hard to replace the seal. Just remove the driveshaft, make sure your vehicle's wheels are blocked.. then gently pry out the old seal. I usually put electrical tape on the end of my screwdriver to pry it out. This will prevent scoring the seal race. Then gently tap in the new seal with a rubber mallet... and whalla.. it's done.

c:\mydocuments\bush_cheney_logo_sm

3. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Cool, Thanks, This sure is messy! my undercarriage needs no more lubricating.

"who dares wins"

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey Archer, I am having the same problem and it seems it might not be the seal at the back of the t-case extension. I replaced mine and it still leaks.

If the rear seal in the trannie goes, ATF leaks into the t-case, case it to flood and pour out of the seal. They say if you take off the fill (top) plug on the top of the t-case and ATF comes pouring out of there, then the seal from the trannie is shot. Just wanted to give you heads-up.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My 208 leaks from the yoke end of the slipyoke, where the splined end and the yoke are welded, pressed, whatever. I'll be replacing this piece soon. Just wanted to let you know it's not always the seal.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Panther

I had a similar problem with my '89 and had the seal replaced and it continued to leak. In my case, I had a replacement driveshaft out of an earlier model Blazer with an NP 208 and while the internal splines on the shaft's slip yoke matched up with the output shaft of my NP 241 t-case, the outside diameter of the shaft's yoke was not large enough to provide a tight seal. I only discovered this when the replacement shaft went and I got a new replacement shaft from Tom Woods and it was a very tight fit but worked PERFECTLY!!

If you have a different shaft, that could be the problem too!

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer