Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208 vibration?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berg76, Jul 15, 2004.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Has anyone had a drivline vibration from there transfer case? I think they output shaft bearing might be going bad. Has anyone replaced one in a 208?

Drive shaft was shortend and balanced last fall. Ive replaced the ujoint last week. I havnt replaced the ujoint at the slip yoke yet but after inspection it still looks good. I plan to replace it anyways once i figure out what size it is(not stock apparently, 2-3011 has the wrong clips).

~jason

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I never had mine vibrate . Mine just started popping out of 2wd while driving , then only grabbed 4 low ( drove home at 20 mph with 3.08's ) . Harley said they were easy to rebuild . I found an exploded view I could send when I get home . There are lots of places online with rebuild kits or just bits and pieces . In my case , I am ending up swapping cases . I will try to rebuild mine later as well /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

To see if the ouput bearing is bad, just pull the rear driveshaft.

What 208's like to do is develop slop in the slip-yoke splines. Sometimes this means that the yoke needs replacement. However, there is a bushing inside the tailshaft (annulus bushing) that is supposed to help the yoke run true. If you have movement there, this bushing probably needs replacement. It's hard to say without tearing into it whether something else was bad that caused it.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

These will help when you take it apart . I will doing one with Harley soon to make me a spare for the one I'm swapping in . I didn't grab the parts list , gotta go back for it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for the info. Ill drop the shaft and inspect it.

Im actually thinking of ditching my 700r4/208 for a sm465/208 setup. i went through 2 trannys in the last truck I had and this one is getting kinda rough. It should last long enough for me to rebuild a 465/208.

~jason /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif