Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np208

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by motofool, May 7, 2004.

1. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

i know its aluminum but are these cases very tough?

are they gear driven or chain driven?

looking ata truck that has one and im coming off a crappy np203...

gimmie some insight would this transfer case be okay light to medium offroading and pavement pounding.
    3/4ton LWB 350th400np208 lifted 4"

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

REPOST!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Chain driven aluminum cased. 2.61:1 low range (better then a 203 or 205 in the low range area). Slipyoke rear output.

I run one in my truck and have since day 1. The original case lasted 18 years before I rebuilt it last fall. I am now running the same case with a few new bearings.

I have no problem running this case. I like it alot and the low range allows me to crawl very well. I run a mild 350 with MPFI which makes pretty decent power. I rock crawl though so my case never really see's the high RPM outputs of a mud runner or things of that nature. I like the case and think it is a good case.

You must make sure that you have a skidplate so you don't samck it on a rock otherwise you will crack the case. I had a custom crossmember/skidplate built by 4x4 Iron.

Don't let everyone scare you about a slipyoke rear output. As long as you don't have insane rear flex you should be fine. I run 5" lift, 35" tires, and a 14bff. I still run stock rear driveshafts. The 14bff move the pinion forward about 1" over stocks so I didn't need to lengthen my driveshaft. For the lift I added a 4* taper to the rear axle and I get no vibrations.

I am locked front and rear and so far so good. I don't have alot of time in on the rocks yet but next wheeling season will be the true test of the cases longevity. I am not really worried about it though. It should do just fine.

Harley

4. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

cool im probably gonna pickup this th40 and np205 for safe keeping then and just let it chill til something breaks.