Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP208C Rebuilt for $375

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aandpman, Sep 6, 2001.

1. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just thought I'd post that I just got a NP208C totally rebuilt (all new internals) for $375. My old one had finaly made the "crunch of death" noise and stopped working.

A small business in Austin, TX, called "Pistole's" does a lot of rebuilds for the rock crawlers around the area. He was the cheapest place I found in the state and came highly recommended by the crawlers I know down there.

It's been working flawlessly now for about 4 months.

Now if I can just get that 44 and 14FF finished and in the truck I'll be a happy hunter......

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

sounds good to me! i just talked to a local shop here and they want $750 for a rebuilt 203 with an exchange, now that sounds alil steep to me but i've only tried one shop.

3. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

I live in Round Rock, whats the contact info for that place in Austin?

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Wow. That's great. Could you do me a favor and find out what a round trip rebuild from Richmond, VA 23234 would cost?

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hey beater74, call up that shop for me and tell them I said they're a bunch of theiving ba$tards. A rebuild kit for an NP208 can be had for only $90, including bearings.

Anyways, if the case makes the crunch of death sound, $375 is an easy relief for a headache. Should have pulled it apart before writing it off though. It could be something as simple as the shift fork bushings went kaput and cause things not to line up quite so right and made some interesting noises. I'm not saying pull your transmission apart too if something seems funny but a t-case is something thats too bad to get in trouble with when you tear it apart. But, its good hear your going again.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Where's Crockett compared to Austin?
    I'm in Round Rock also... hmmm.. do I sense a Local k5 gathering again?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Replaced my range selector fork for 72$ from the local dealer and a rebuild kit cost me 121$ from a local autoparts place... did it myself for a total of around 200$ and torqued it to spec doesn't leak a drop. Cheap and a proud to do it myself sucessfully....

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

8. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

9. aandpman

Actually - I took a look inside the old one and there was lots of metal in places where it shouldn't have been. I think it lost a thrust bearing and that cascaded into a lot of other problems.

When I looked at getting one from Phoenix hard parts it would have cost me $199 but then the shipping to me and the shipping back of the old one would have put me at $400 or more.

Then I called a big rebuilder in Dallas and THEY wanted $700 exchange.

Called my jeepin buddy in Austin and he gave me Pistole's name.
    Here's the address.....

Pistole's Transmission
    10310 Old Manchaca Rd
    Austin, TX
    (512) 280-0300

I know it probably cost him $90 in parts at the chevy dealer, but my time's been in a crunch and it was worth it to me to get it and get it done. It's my daily driver.

Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember, amateurs built the ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

10. aandpman

Crockett is in east Texas, "Behind the Pine Curtain." It's where EVERYONE's related.....

I'm about 3 hours east of Austin on Hwy 21.

Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember, amateurs built the ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

11. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I was at Austin Drivetrain today.. picking up my driveshaft.. and I asked them if they rebuild T-case's.. and if they could get part's for them..
    The guy behind the counter told me Yes and yes..
    So.. there is another option.. for anyone in the Austin area..
    I'm really happy with Austin drivetrain's service..
    Dropped my driveshaft off yesterday.. they told me one day turnaround.. picked it up today at noon.. they painted it.. balanced it, put a huge 1350 series yoke on the end..
    And charged me 30 less than they quoted me..
    [​IMG].. i'm on cloud nine... no more odd u-joint's.. [​IMG]

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com