Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Apparently the double U-joint on the front drive shaft came apart on the previous owner and took a nice chunk out of the corner of the transfer case body. They patched it, but the epoxy they used turned brittle, cracked, and now its leaking bad. I am trying a patch of my own. If it doesn;t work, how hard is it to find a salvaged case and how much should I expect to pay if I do end up buying one? It is an 89 NP241 behind a 700r4.
    Thanks
    AW

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind disassembling it, and the area that's cracked is not a high stress or machined area of the case you could probably get your case welded where it's leaking. But it will have to be clean and done by a good aluminum welder, that may be less expensive and easier than finding a good used case to swap.

3. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, get it welded if you can. I had a crack in my NP241 fixed over 7 years ago and it has never given me trouble.
    If I recall, it was a real pain in the ass trying to find parts or even a complete replacement, forcing us to try the weld.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't know on the crack but I got my TH400/ NP241 out of a '90 burban for $700 and that was basically brand new from the salvage yard (person replaced motor/ tranny/ case then 1 week later totalled truck)

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

buying a used one is fine if the price is right and you know it's a good one or it comes with a guarantee, but high mileage used ones can have problems, if yours works good and the crack is the only problem with it I would get it welded, check things over while it's torn apart and put it back together.