Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np241 electrical problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Dec 16, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so my buddy has a 94 (approx.) Z-71 with an np241 (so he says) and a nv4500 tranny. he says his four-wheel drive doesnt work because of some electrical problem. the truck is stock, and has the lever to shift into 4x4, not the button. isnt the 241 almost identical to the 208? i didnt think there was anything that important as far as electrical goes in there, all mechanical, am i wrong?? what could it be? can someone straighten this out for me?? much appreciated...

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

94 engages the front diff via a heated gas that expands and pushes a gear into place. The replacement part from GM is an electric motor that does the job much better.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As Harry said. It is the electric accuator located on the front axle. Its not a xfer case problem.
    It is a cylinder with a hex nut and wires going to it located on the front axle. Easy to replace. Just unscrew the old one and install new one $60-$90