Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 Leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Sep 24, 2002.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Well I put my truck up in the air yesterday and my boss looked at the leak at the output shaft and said I probably have the bad bushing inside the x-case. He doesnt want to mess with it so he told me to go to a trans shop. Any idea how much this kinda job costs. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

If you are talking about the rear output shaft seal, those are notorious about leaking. There is a bushing that is directly inside the housing. However, I am not sure that is the culprit. From what I read and my own experience, I think the consensus on the site is that is a wet seal and will always leak. I replaced my seal and that did not fix the leak, however, I did not replace the bushing. It is not that big of a job to replace both the bushing and the seal.

I fixed the leak when I went to the SYE from www.highangledriveline.com .

3. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

Just went thru the same thing on my 89 jimmy, replaced seal and it still leaked, turns out that it was leaking from inside the slip yoke close to bearing cups on u joint (weld leaking). try pouring a little bit of trans fluid into the slip yoke and putting air pressure on it, you may find the leak!

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah Ive replaced the seal once before its still leaking. My boss said he really doesnt want to get into tearing the xcase apart. Oh Well

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem on my 90. I replaced the seal and it did no good. Personally I kinda liked the "rust proof undercoating" it gave me /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .