Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 NOISE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RADMAN, Mar 2, 2000.

1. RADMAN

RADMAN Registered Member

I just love this site. I told my wife,"see I'm not the only Jimmy nut in the world. But I do have a small problem that maybe someone could help me with. When I'm driving around 40mph,or so, and back off the gas, then get back on it, either the t-case chain or the rear end is making a whinning and small grinding noise. The rear pinion seal is leaking a little, and there seems to be a lot of slop in the rear end. Am I crazy or is there something to be concerend about. Oh, it has new drive shafts and u-joints and everything else is in great shape.

Thanks,

David

TAKE HER TOP OFF, AND ROLL HER IN THE MUD!!!!
    89'JIMMY

2. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

For what it's worth, the t-case chain doesn't spin when in 2WD. If it is coming from the t-case, it's probably a bearing. The tailshaft bearing gets a lot of abuse, 'specially if you have a lift, as the slip yoke gets pulled out, increasing the leverage. I've dug around in there a lot over the last couple of months. If it's the rear-end, well... you're on your own. Good luck,

Rob

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

When in doubt... GAS IT!!

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The 241s are a pretty darn good case, just keep em full of fluid!! As for your problem, I would check your u-joints first. If not, I would bet dollars to donuts that it's your crappy 10 bolt rear end!!! These things just grenade themselves whenever they feel like it!!!!

ken

4. James Rusty 79

James Rusty 79 Registered Member

I think you are going to need a rear end very very soon.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have the same problem....i thought it was my rear end so i had it rebuilt (3 times) and it is still doin it....transfer case was just redone too but its still doin it...i have no clue what is goin on....
    chaz

"The stuck lemon"

6. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

Yeah..I know this is a little bit late, but I just got here. Anyways, if your 10-bolt hasn't grenaded yet..brace yourself...it's gonna. I had the same noise/symptoms in my '89 w/ the 241...unfortunately, I was positive it was the t-case, so i paid $700 for a used 208, bolted her in...and blew out the rear on the test ride. Now I have a 208 where my 241 was and I'm out the cash plus the rear end rebuild. IT'S THE REAR!! 10-bolts o' fun, eh?

DAN THE MAN '89 SILVER SILVERADO