Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 not engaging 4-lo

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Aug 21, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well we got my t-case in but the damn thing wont engage the lo range planetaries, all it does is partially engage then pop out. I fiddled with it for a while today and i eliminated the shifter as the problem because it wouldnt fix it if i disconected the linkage and shifted it front the bottom. Anybody else had this problem? I think its something internal but I dont know what and I dont want to pull the case out again for no reason.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Inside they are similar to np208's and have the plastic pads on the range fork that wear out , and once worn , they eat away at the range fork until its knife-edged . Thats all I know about it . There was a rebuild in a mag a couple years back , maybe I can find it and scan it for you /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check your fluid level.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

We just had the case out and apart to reseal it and weld up a small crack. So I wonder if its assembled wrong. The shift forks are good, and my fluid level is full.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd say it's a range fork or a range collar problem. Either the range fork is too worn to fully move the collar into the planetary or the teeth on the range collar are worn too much.

The range collar is a fairly weak area IMO...

Rene

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Crap, I geuss I will pull the case down again, this will be the 3rd time for this case in a month. I should order a SYE kit for it while im at it.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I should order a SYE kit for it while im at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can afford it , by all means do it . Its a good idea , and allows you to get home if your shaft , and spare shaft break . My other Blazer will eventually have a fixed yoke case of some kind also /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif