Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 or a 208?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91 full size jimmy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. 91 full size jimmy

91 full size jimmy Registered Member

:confused: i have a 241 in my jimmy and i bought an 87 K5 blazer. Whad do i need to do to take the tranny and tcase out of the 87 and put it in mine?

If any one needs parts let me know and ill see if they are good and if they are there. email me at cgregory_13@hotmail.com

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Anything wrong with the 241??

3. 91 full size jimmy

it need all new gaskets. some one had it apart before i got it . I put 90 wate in it and in about 25 miles it was empty. i wanna rebuild the 241 and put it back in if its all good and sell the 208

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Ummmmm, the 241 needs to run with ATF, not 90 weight.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You should probably reseal the 241 and use it. The drivetrain will swap in directly without any mods but your speedo won't work properly. The 241 is an electric speedo and the 208 is a mechanical speedo.

The electric vs. mechanical speedo is the only problem I see with the 2 drivetrain swaps. The 241 and 208 are interchangeable except for the 241's with the electric speedo setup.

Harley

6. 91 full size jimmy

i know that it needs to run with ATF but i was tryen to keep something init to keep it lubed up

7. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think the 241 came with elctrtical and mechanical speedo. Just finished rebuilding mine, and it wasnt to hard except that it laid on the bench for 3 months apart while i waited on the short tail shaft kit to arrive. I only used rtv and it worked great

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Both cases are good units. I personally would reseal the 241 and install a fixed yoke, short shaft kit. The 241 needs the thinner ATF because it has an oil pump in it and the gear oil is too thick to pump around. The cases are pretty simple to take apart and reseal. Even if you are not comfy doing it yourself, just pull the unit and bring it to a shop. They would probably only charge you about 100-150 to do it.

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Wrenches
    Sockets
    Beer
    Tranny jack would help

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Better hope none of that gear lube made it way into the 700R4. If it did gear lube will toast a auto tranny. Thats why they use ATF in a xfrer case mated to a auto tranny. Might be a good idea to change your tranny fluid ASAP

11. 91 full size jimmy

I personally would reseal the 241 and install a fixed yoke, short shaft kit.

where can i get a gasket kit and a fixed yoke, short shaft kit?:confused:

12. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

The only gasket per say is where the extension housing bolts to the rear case half. Then there are three seals, one at each input and output shaft, and the rest is RTV silicone. When using the RTV only use as much as is needed. Don't overdo it. A little silicone goes a long way. One tube is more then enough. As far as tools go, the only special tool I would reccommend having is a good set of snap ring pliers. Other then that everything is normal stuff. Check with some of the vendors on here about where to get the slip yoke eliminator kit. I know I have seen them advertised on here before.

13. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

High angle driveline
    ORD
    Jb conversions

just to name a few