Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np241 popping out of 4lo revised

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rustbucket, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

I've got a 91 blazer with transfer case problems. It pops out of 4lo. It is fine in the other gears. It will also stay in 4lo allday long in reverse. I've checked the linkage and it was fine. I've also checked the big rubber mount on the cross member. It is pretty sorry, but not the culprit. I just don't know why it would stay in in reverse, but not drive. Anybody else have this problem? Any feedback would be greatly aprieciated(sp?) This is a stock truck with 33's on it. Thanks in advance. Ok so I disconnected the linkage and put it in gear, but it still did it. When it does this, it sounds awful , like gears grinding in a manual trans. Like I said it does fine in reverse. Could this be the chain? Are these transfer cases hard to rebuild. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm poor white folk and can't afford fixing stuff that isn't broken. Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Re: np241 popping out of 4lo

I know you said you checked it, but disconnect the linkage and MANUALLY put it in lo (all the way forward on the t-case), and see if it still does it....

It sounds like your linkage is out of adjustment.

good luck rob

3. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

Re: np241 popping out of 4lo

ttt

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

these transfer cases have forks which push the sliders to engage the different modes, the forks have plastic pads which wear out/fall off. if this happens the slider won't engage completely and it jumps out of gear. drop the rear driveshaft and remove the back half of the case, check the shifting forks, it may be your problem.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Sounds like what my NP208 did before I had my shift forks fixed, I have never opened a transfer case so I paid a guy $250 to fix it for me and to take care of the 57 different places from where it was leaking oil at the same time.

6. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like what my NP208 did before I had my shift forks fixed, I have never opened a transfer case so I paid a guy $250 to fix it for me and to take care of the 57 different places from where it was leaking oil at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like what mine is doing right now. Except mine does it in 2Hi.

I was hoping someone could tell me what the problem was. Here's the link to my post:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=896794&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The shift forks slide a collar into and out of the planetary set-up at the front of the case. The range collar has diamnod cut teeth and they are not the strongest part of the T-case by any stretch of the imagination. When those teeth wear a bit you'll have trouble keeping it in low range or you might even have the feeling it's trying to slip in and out of a range.

The problem usually starts when someone thinks "Shift on the fly" includes going from low range to high range while moving.

Another possibility is a poorly working detent ball, and of course the shift fork pads wearing off.

Staying in low range in reverse tells me that the range collar is probably the culprit. The rotation being reversed is putting all the forces on the better side of the teeth engaging the planetary.

Rene