Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 12, 2000.

Were NP241's full time or part time or both? Are they a good transfer, better than a NP208?

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

they're basically the same, the 241 is a newer version and both of them are part time

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

2. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

OH MY GOD!!! Mr. Casteel doesn't know something? Hell JUST froze over.. Just kidding harve.. Seems like you know everything bout everything.. you usually answer questions not ask them.. Oh well I am rambling now

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

3. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Are the internals basically the same? I was wondering b/c my Haynes manual doesn't show the breakdown of the 241 but it does show every other transfer case offered in the blazers.

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

yeah, they're both chain-driven and work the same, i think the design was a bit different as well as the material the case was made out of.

5. Well a buddy has one in his 91 and he doesn't have locking hubs(auto hubs)and I am told that the NP241 is part-time no matter what hubs it has. Is the teller of this story full of sh#t or what? I have never messed with full time crap !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

6. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

The NP-241 came on most 88 and newer models. A circular tag on the backside of the case can identify each. There are few exceptions. The 208 and 241 case can be shifted on the fly from 2wd to 4 hi, as long as the hubs are in the lock position.The NP-208 is a chain driven part time case. This case was made to replace the NP-205, as the 208 is aluminum, and the 205 is cast-iron. Less weight, better mileage, though not as strong. The NP-241 is considered to be a good transfer case and is stronger than the NP-208. It has an aluminum case and chain like the 208.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Also...the 241's low range ratio is 2.72:1, versus 2.61:1 for the 208. The 241 was the upgraded 208 that occured in 1988.

ken

8. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

thanks