Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nine-oh, Apr 10, 2005.

1. nine-oh

nine-oh Registered Member

Hey guys, I just swapped an NP205 out in favor of a 241. I installed a JB "super short" sye kit. In the instuctions it says to note the orientation of the mode ring but it doesn't state which side goes toward the front of the case. Unfortunately I bought the T/C as a basket case so I have no idea which way it was originally. One side is longer and has a larger OD and the smaller OD side is longer and is tapered, anyone know which side goes where? I have assembled the case with the ring in both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Shift pattern: I have limited experience with the chain driver NP cases (jeepTJ 231 and Ford 271) but any I have used go 2hi, 4hi, N, 4low. This 241 (from a 90 p/u) goes 4hi, 2hi, N, 4low :confused: is this a normal 241 pattern or is this thing an odd ball? At first I thought that I must have reassembled it wrong after installing the SYE but the more I look at it the more I think there's no way to put it together wrong and cause this problem. Any input?

Thx

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I don't have the answers, but i do have a question: what is a T/C and why did you choose to lose the 205.....

Definition of NP205 as stated in websters dictionary: bullet-proof, indestructable, unbreakable, rock-crusher, gear-driven, torque-eating, horsepower hungry, HEAVY, etc etc etc

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

T/C= transfer case

my 241 goes from 2hi-4hi-N-4lo its a 89

never seen the pattern you have described eaither????

4. nine-oh

Yeah, thats what I thought...goofy pattern or somethings really wrong :frown1:

Does anyone have a link to an exploded view of a 241 so I can try and figure out WTF is wrong with this situation?

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

For an exploded view www.motivegear.com

I'm not sure it will tell you what you want to know...if I recall, one side of the teeth has a taper...that face the gear that it slides toward...I did mine, but I've slept since then

I also recall somewhere in the SYE instructions that if you install it incorrectly it can/will cause catastrophic failure...

Seems a quick call to their tech line would be in order...

6. nine-oh

thanks for the info. I was planning on calling the tech line on monday but I thought I'd check here first so I didn't waste a full weekend of wrenching wanting for the tech line to open.

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

2hi-4hi-N-4lo is correct for an IFS 241.

8. nine-oh

That's what I figured. Anyone have any reasons why this one is the way it is?

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Ohhhhhhh. now i feel really stupid :blush:

10. Lomax

Lomax Registered Member

Orientation

The ends of the teeth on the inside face of the mode slide ring are pointed on one side and flat on the other. The pointed side of the teeth should face the main sprocket engagement teeth (which are also pointed). Look at Fig. 14 or 15 in the instructions and you can see the outside shape and orientation of the slide ring. One side has a 90 degree step and one is smooth. John-JB Conv.

11. nine-oh

Thanks for the info! Part of the problem figuring out which way the mode ring goes is my vision, or lack there of. I was just in for laser eye surgery the other day and not seeing too well yet!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005