Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 seal replacement??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Sep 2, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I have an Np241 from my 90, but the front and rear output seals leak bad. How difficult is it to replace them? Any special tools needed? I gotta do it, but I just wanted to see who has done it and if there were any 'tricks' to it
    Thanks!

2. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

No special tools, really simple. Same as repacing seals on the axles. Just pop them in, might need a deadblow.

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Mike...rebuilt the 241 in my wifes 90 burb...had to keep up with damon...i think its a toybox thingy...lol. Anyways...if it is still a rear slip yoke then just replacing the output shaft seal will not do it...there is a bronze bushing in the rear of the tailshaft housing much like a 2wd th350...you will need to replace this also...note 2...add a coating of grease on the sealing surface of the seal...if not you'll have to do it again like me....i actually did it three times as the driveshaft end of the equasion was undersized from years of service...

on the front output...there is a rubber gasket that goes under the yoke nut...permatex will also work as it is there to prevent leakage thru the threads...run your finger nail over the sealing surface of the yoke...if its grooved a temp repair is a speedy sleeve...or the right way of replacing the yoke...

DW

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I was just gonna ask about that bushing. I went to get the seals from the parts store yesterday and got both the front and rear output seals (they look almost identical?) and they mentioned a bushing and seal kit. they sell the seal seperate but they also have this 'kit' that has the bushing and the seal.

How do I remove the bushing and should I just replace it with the seal?

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Not replacing the bushing is like peeing in the wind....we all know the results...lol. A bushing driver is the best method as it does not hurt the bushing...you can buy a Lisle kit that doubles as a bearing race installer also...a socket can be used but i don't recommend that...guess i'm one of those right tool for the job types as i work as a diesel mechanic for a living...i think the seals look preety close between the two...i bought everthing thru my local gm dealer but since they were all CR seals i just buy from napa or the local heavy truck drivetrain shop...to seal the tailshaft housing to the case i used ultra gray rtv...it is used by spicer and meritor (rockwell) to install semi rear ends and some items on the big trannies...i use it on my gear covers also instead of gaskets...good stuff.

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif