Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 Slip Yoke Eliminator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer12, Apr 17, 2002.

1. blazer12

blazer12 Registered Member

Just wanted to find out if anyone has installed JB Conversions Slip Yoke Eliminator and can describe what's involved in doing the install or if someone has a link for a writeup. Thanks all.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Send a PM to 4X4HIGH (Scott) He did it. Also try a search..might come up with some info that will help you!

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Easier than changing plug wires!!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I just did a swap in my '89 NP241 but I used the SYE from High Angle Driveline. Good instructions & suprisingly easy. Just make sure you get yourself a pair of "EATON" style snapring pliers & it'll be a snap to do!! LOL! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously though; I was always intimidated by the t-case but it was really easy to do. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. blazer12

blazer12 Registered Member

I'll make sure and PM him.

Brian-Why did you choose the High Angle SYE kit over others, and what was the price difference? I have the transfercase out of the vehicle, so it will be easy that way. I was just wondering how much I have to tear into it. Thanks for the replies.

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup83/aaa>Here</a> is a picture of mine after the install. The install basically consists of splitting the case, removing the shaft, removing the gears from the old shaft and placing them on the new shaft, install the new shaft, put the case back together. If you are mechanically inclined and take your time, it is a simple upgrade that is well worth the effort.

6. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

Extremely easy mod. Before I did this all I had done was change a caliper. Do it!

there is a whole write up on it in the last issue of 4Wheeler magazine.
    The guy who owns JB conversions (forgot his name) was awesome, exellent customer service.

If you get a CV shaft don't get it from Tom Woods. I got my one ton CV shaft from tom woods and his partner or whatever suggested that I shoud get the shaft with a lighter duty part near the rear pinoin so I don't have to run conversion joints and that when I get my one ton axles I can send it back and have the part swapped for the one ton free of charge if the part was in good condition. sounded like a good idea except when I talked to Tom a couple of days ago and told him I am sending it back to get the parts sawapped out like we agreed, he started telling me that he doesn't have a need for the used part. I don't care if you have a need for it or not, your company suggested and told me that I could do this and have it expense free. I'll have to see what he says when the shaft arives there. I'll be sure to keep you informed on the customer service from Tom Woods.
    I regret not getting it from Jess.

7. Brian 89KBlazer

blazer12

The price was as cheap or cheaper than other sources PLUS I am getting my front &amp; rear CV shafts from Jess when I get ready. I'm also considering the t-case brake so I went to Jess for the SYE as well. Besides that; I'm trying to give Jess as much business as I can because the customer service has been AWESOME! I've emailed &amp; called him a few times for help &amp; everytime; he answers my questions without rushing me off the phone like other places seem to do.

I was a Tom Woods fan &amp; had him make me a 1350 stock-replacement shaft for my Blazer a while ago. However; when I tried to get ahold of him this time; all I could get was his assistant/partner/whatever. Couldn't get Tom to return a call or answer the phone at all. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I had my t-case out too which made it real easy. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Good Luck

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So what is different on the 208? Do any of you think that just one or two parts are different, or is the whole back of the 'case different?

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Blue85

I'm not sure as to why the NP208 can't use a NP241 short shaft kit. I'd like to see the Np208 &amp; the NP241 mainshafts compared side-by side. I know that the NP208 is supposed to have straight cut gears while the NP241 has helical gears but if the mainshaft is the same with snap ring grooves in the same locations; it should be a swapable item. Anyone have the two to compare??