Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 speedo sender – convert electronic to mechanical

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Nov 22, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have an NP241 with electronic sender for the speedo. It’s in an 88 K5 with TBI and a mechanical speedo. How can I get these two to talk? Will a mechanical drive sender easily replace the electronic? I’m hoping it’s not too much trouble. FWIW, the 241 has a slip yoke eliminator. One way or another, I’ve got to get an accurate speedo and input for the VSS…

2. BadDog

So, nobody knows anything?

How about making a GPS speedo work with the VSS? One way or another I need to get a speedo into this thing. I wonder if the easiest and least expensive way is to gut the wiring from a 90+ with electronic speedo 241...

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need to find a 1989 NP241 and use the speedo drive gear and housing.

4. BadDog

Aha, so it does exist. Thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now if I can just find one... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Anyone give me a line on someone with a busted '89 241 that could part with the tail housing and gear?

Just to double check, but I'm hoping the slip yoke eliminator will work on the 89? If not, I may yet be looking for a new harness or GPS speedo... Or sell this SYE and get the right one? Argh... nothing is ever easy is it?

5. 4X4HIGH

SYE kit will work on the 1989 NP241 with mechanical speedo, this is the exact set-up I currently have in my blazer. 1989 was the first year for the NP241 and the only year with a mechanical speedo.

6. BadDog

Cool, thanks much for the info. I've never even touched a 241 before so this is a total unkown to me. I've got to remove the yoke anyway since the rear seal is leaking, I'll just have to see about finding a 241 mechanical tail and do it all at once...

Since you seem to be familiar with the 241, any issues I should be aware of with this case or the SYE. Like do they typically leak? SYE looks brand new with a new seal, but it seems to leak rather freely...

7. 4X4HIGH

Mine doesn't leak but that doesn't mean they all don't. Just keep the t-case from hitting rocks and other debris.

8. BadDog

Yeah, that aluminum case is the reason I generally avoid 208s, 241s, etc.

I didn't figure the leak would be common, just thought I would ask. Thanks again for the info...

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The aluminum cases seem to leak more than others. My buddy had a '99 Dodge Ram with 18k miles on it and his 'case even leaked. Seems real common on all the aluminum cases.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: NP241 speedo sender – convert electronic to mechanical

I have a 1989 NP241 case swapped in under my 85' with the mech. speedo. I think the rear tail swaps right over between the 2. My 241 leaked like a siv! So bad it wouldn't even hold a full quart. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I just got tired of putting in fluid and then seeing oil spots all over after a few miles. I recently had it rebuilt and it doesn't leak a drop now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BadDog

This one seems to only leak around the rear yoke. What worries me is that it looks like a brand new SLE and seal...

12. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

my 241 was leaking alot, so i paid a tranny shhop $400 to re-seal it....still leaks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Went thru hell with mine also...replaced the rear output seal twice...changed out the tailshaft bushing once...finally i had to replace the slip end of the driveshaft to stop the leak...and since i tore the whole tcase down and used all gm seals...use the ultra gray to reseal the halves...i tried out some of that slick stuff we use to seal gear cases on detroit deisels...anarobic sealer...didn't work out so swell as they say...

DW

14. BadDog

But this one has an SYE. Looks like I'll be swapping tail housings soon anyway, so I'll add a new seal and hope for the best... God I hate leaks!