Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 T-Case Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IronMan, Apr 22, 2003.

1. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I tried a search for NP241c transfer case gears, nothing came up. I would like to get one rebuilt with a slip yoke kit and lower gears. Does anyone make lower gear sets for these t-cases? With a slip yoke how much power can they handle? I know their rated for more torque than a np205, but the magnesium cases are fragile. It will have to be well protected. Anyone interested in my ORD Doubler? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

how much?

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Try 4x4now I think they had a link for a 4 to 1 gear set for the np241 made by L.L.C. But I think they are like 1400.00 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif And I think there was some talk about people worried about how well they would hold up to our fullsize rigs.

4. Nike

Nike Registered Member

If you are looking for a 241 fixed yoke kit, they are available in several places, but from the looks of what you are running (caddy engine etc.) you appear to be fairly creative. Try looking for a Dodge 241D transfer case, probably 1990's or so. You will find a really neat fixed yoke on the back. Use your chevy input shaft in the Dodge case to get the right splines, and when you bolt the Dodge case (241) to the chevy adapter, only one of the 6 bolts needs to be enlarged a bit, I bet you will also find the 241 is clocked up about 25 or so degrees out of harms way. A friend is doing this with a 208, and I have looked at the 241's and am reasonably sure it will also work. Nike

5. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I havent had a problem finding a slip yoke kit. Mainly what I need to find is a lower range gear set. How much strength would you lose going to lower ratio?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    How much strength would you lose going to lower ratio?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Apparently quite a bit. New Venture designed a new, larger and stronger case to go with the 4:1 low range that used on the 241 in the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. The sun gears that they used in the planetary are WAY larger than the ones used in a standard 241. Advance Adapters sells the entire, brand new, 4:1 241 t-case for $1,600, but I'm pretty sure it's only available with the front driveshaft on the drivers side. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

the 241 was available in Dodge trucks and Ramchargers starting in 88. All cases up till 94 will have a fixed yoke