Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NP241 t-case...under load it pops out of LO?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, May 12, 2003.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Yesterday, I was helping a friend out. He was trying to pull some big Holly bushies out of his yard with a 2wd Ford p/u. I told him to allow a real truck in to do the job! I locked the hubs in and shifted into 4 lo and tightened down on the line and then boom! The t-case was in neutral. I thought...mmmm...must of not been engaged all the way. I pulled back on the lever and it did it again once I put some torque on it. I had to move the truck out of the way,so we could move the Ford in to finish.
    SO Pissed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, but was /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif really worried about my truck, b/c I am going to Windrock in 2 weeks.

Anyone have anything on this. Could the shifter need a adjustment?
    Thanks for the help,
    Mike B
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's in your sig...265,000 miles. Your shift forks are probably worn out, but start cheap. Look at your tranny mount and make sure it's in good shape. From there, tearing open the t-case is the next option, unless your shifter is out of adjustment. Just look at the indicator, make sure it lines up nicely.

3. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

When it is in 2wd, it is alittle back. Almost in the middle of 2wd and 4wd. I am going to try to adjust it today.
    Is there any books on rebuilding a 241 for Chevy?

Thanks
    Mike B

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Peterson's had a whole article on rebuilding one not too long ago... not sure what month. It doesn't look that difficult. www.kdsperformance.com has the rebuild kit and sells videos on how to rebuild it. Good luck, but from what I saw in the mag, it doesn't look too hard.

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

in the long run you may need a rebuild, but until you can afford that, just make a bolt to hook a bungee cord to and pull it tight to hold it in lo-loc, that what i did.

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

2 Things here. From the sound of things, I would first dis-connect the shift linkage and put the 241 in 4lo and adjust your linkage to meet the selectors correct position.
    If you get that all done and it still does it, remove the boot from teh shifter and make sure you dont have anything blocking/preventing it from making a full engagement.

#2 if the above fails, my next guestimation would be that the little selector fork shoes have come off. This will allow there to be enough play in the range selector assembly so that under load it could pop out.
    Here is a parts diagram if you like.
    Hope this was of some help. 241 Diagram

If the picture appears really small in your browser, you will need to change some settings to allow you to inlarge it or you can right click on it and "save picture as", then go back and open the file with a viewer that has a zoom feature.

Again... Good luck. PS That thing is "CAKE" to rebuild.