Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np241 vent tube leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91burb, Oct 25, 2002.

1. 91burb

91burb Registered Member

I need some help to end a four year (and countless quarts of atf) mystery. The np241 transfer case in my 91 Suburban 2500 has leaked as long as I've owned it, approx. 1 quart per 1000 miles. Any ideas on how/why the t-case would leak out of the vent/breather tube. It's routed into the engine compartment and has the correct breather "hat" on it. The fluid has been changed and the case is in good working order (engages fine). Internally, what could possibly happen to make the ATF leak out of the breather? The fluid has to climb a few feet of hose! I'm at the end of my rope and I have yet to find anyone that has even heard of this happening let alone provide a solution (that goes for dealerships, backyard mechanics, private shops, homeless people, pimply faced kids, practically anyone I've met that has the slightest concept of 4wd's I've asked.

Thanks,

David

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I'm not a tranny expert but could it be that the ATF is leaking from the transmission into the transfer case. If that is the case the transfer would be overfilled all the time and spit oil out of the breather?

3. 91burb

91burb Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. The transfer case leaks even with very little atf (I know, I should have checked it sooner). I've checked the tranny (4L80E) level and it has always been full. Is there some sort of internal shield or deflector to keep fluid from splashing off the chain into the tube?