Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

np241

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5texan, Sep 14, 2001.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

in my 89 i have a stock np241 and was wondering the disadvantages and advantages of swapping it for a 205.
    I plan to use it for an all around truck but mainly for trail riding and i want to keep the overdrive tranny.

thanks in advance
    Jared

2. BIGDEAL

BIGDEAL Registered Member

No one must like the 241. I put a post about trading it out for a 208 and no one had any thing to say!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would say the 241 would be slightly more popular than a 208. They are similar cases but a Slip yoke eliminator kit is available for the 241 and it has a better low range (slightly)
    A SYE kit is not available for the 208, although using a dodge 208 donor case you can achieve a fixed yoke 208...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you want just an all around K5, keep the NP241 and install a fixed yoke output, mine has the slip yoke and factory skid plate, also has 190,000 miles of abuse and street with nothing smaller than 35" tires over the past eight years, I don't think I have ever changed the fluid in it. It also has the lowest gears of the factory t-cases and most new 1-ton trucks run some form of it.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the advice
    Jared