Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Np242???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Okay buddy across the street has an NP242 from a 00 jeep. I don't want to buy it off of him if it is a piece of Sh!t. Also I don't know if it would match up to anything I own.

He owns an NP231 aswell and the NP242 is definately bigger. Just wandering if anybody knows the strength of one of these things???

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

im going to assume you're sportin a full size gm truck?

even if it worked out to mate up to your current setup, i wouldn't trust it under a fullsize rig.

what do you have right now?

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Neither a 231 nor a 242 would be up to the task in a fullsize. That said, the main difference between them is the 231 is your basic part time case 2hi, 4hi, N, 4lo. The 242 has a fulltime option in 4hi. The 242 was a luxury option in cherokees/ grand cherokees, maybe some others. I believe the 231 has a reputation for being a touch stronger, but again, neither would fare well in a full-size.

4. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

thanks guys.

I have an NP203 right now, but I am getting an NP241 that WORKS. hahaha, my 4LO doesn't engage, and it sucks offroading in 4HI.