Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NRA members?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 9, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anybody here a member of the NRA? I'm thinking about joining, but I want to hear a little more about it from members before I decide what to buy. I want to join before going to the range to get the respect the NRA members get (yeah, and all the other fringe benefits). Really, I want to learn as much as possible about firearm ownership, marksmanship, and child firearm education as I can, and I figure an NRA membership will be very helpful in that.

PM me if you don't want to reply to the thread, I'd really like more info from a member!

Thanks!

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I just joined the other day. Don't have any of the info yet though. I joined because I am sick of judges and law makers who know nothing about firearms sitting on some bench making up laws to hurt those who follow the law. Like any freaking criminal is not gonna buy a weapon because it's not legal. Please. I figured they fight for my rights so much so it was worth my $35 to join...

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Not like I don't have enough guns to join, I'm thinking about it, too.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, that's another large part of why I want to join... Politics!!

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't even have any real guns yet. I was drooling over a .50 cal rifle in Walmart last week, but my wife basically slapped my hands with a fly swatter as I reached for my wallet... I'm hoping to maybe get a .22 for christmas (HINT HINT)...
    Unfortunately, I've determined the local gun shop guys to be large-ego'ed prime cut A-holes, so I won't be buying anything better than what walmart carries for now... Pissed me off that I had questions about the guns, and they were annoyed to answer, like annoyed that I was asking.

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

you can buy basically any gun that most people sell. just ask them for their special order catalog. they have all sorts of models and such. just ask them. nra is a great thing to do. i thought my dad bought me a lifetime membership but he didn't. it was only for a few years. when i'm older and have enough money to do so i'm gonna become a life member. its like 700 bux or so. nra has to do with a bunch of politics. every election year they tell you which candidate is best to choose from concerning gun control laws. later.

jacob

7. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

In addition to letting you know who the pro gun candidates are they also let you know what other issues are going up for vote. Sometimes they (the legislatures) try to sneek some ban or other anti gun law in at a local level so you can have a heads up to show support it or raise a ruckus to get it voted down.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm 16 and a proud member. I am also a member of Ducks Unlimited and the CCA (Coastal Conservation Association). These kinds of groups are vital to the future of conservation, gun rights, and hunting.

My Aunt refuses to join the NRA because she thinks their views are too extreme. She USED to go hunting with us at least once a year. Not anymore. This is mostly my doing, if she's too good for the NRA than obviously she's too good to use a gun. Sorry but thats the way I feel.

9. AGM

AGM Registered Member

Not all of the candidates the NRA supports are 'pro'-gun, although they're usually better than the candidate from the other major party. One example here: http://keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBPrintItem.asp?ID=3515

I agree that the NRA does do some good work. You're right about their alerts being helpful. I've used them to find out about things my local news doesn't report. But they are a 'compromise' group. If you don't believe in compromising on gun-rights you might check out www.gunowners.org and www.jpfo.org.

I forgot to mention the guys at www.keepandbeararms.com they've got a pretty decent site.

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Life Member here... and proud of it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's $750, payable in $25 quarterly payments. Hell - I could drop $25 at the pub on a typical Friday night, so I figured I could handle $100 a year. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Go to: http://nra.org/ That should get you started. Also - as a magazine choice, I'd recommend American Rifleman. It has more technical articles on lots of firearms, as well as the political happenings.

JUST DO IT !!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I love gun questions! You get used to the crotchety old guys... Seems there alot more helpful when they find out your a buyer and not some kid just kickin the tires wasting there time.

The crotchety old guys are going to know alot more about guns and gun polotics than some 19 year old kid at wally mart..

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's true, but these guys were 25 year old Punk-ass b****es... I started the conversation saying I was looking to buy my first rifle, hopefully that gave him the idea... They irritated me because I was asking them for helping in selecting my first gun, and they treated me like a total dumbass that shouldn't be asking a question, just doing whatever they say...

I think the package that makes the most sense to me is life member. Thanks to everyone that PMed me so far, too.