Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Number One Upgrade?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5wantabe, Apr 11, 2002.

1. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

Was wondering what everyones opinion is on what should be the order for upgrade to the 350 eng? This is for one with TBI. Talking for a few hundred dollars. (don't have the $1000 for heads). How about it, msd ign.; headers;intake manifold; cam; high flow cat; muffler any thing else?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

K&N air filter.........

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Intake and exhaust will get you the biggest gains for the $. The next one after that if it where me would be MSD. I have MSD and love it. I also have true dual exhaust. Get a highflow exhaust first, maybe intake manifold & K&N next and then MSD.

4. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

Yea. I kind of figured that for $30 the filter was a gimme. Shouldn't everyone have one?

5. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

get some headers! best bang for your buck

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

headers, aluminum manifold, TBI spacer, upgraded ignition...

but i started with the almighty MUFFLER BEARING!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

gimic

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, that's why I don't have one.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

do K&N's really help enough to justify buying one?

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have one, and I think it is worth it. Just for the fact that you can go along time without cleaning it. Then when it is time to clean it, it is easy. You don't have to go to the parts store every few thousand miles and pick up a new filter which is nice. If it gets really nasty on the trail and airflow is resticted you can brush the filter off and reinstall. Even dirty they flow more air then a normal air filter. I like it and am going to keep it.

11. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Hmm...you're right.

$957.31 for new Vortec iron heads, a Vortec TBI intake manifold, intake and head gaskets, and TTY head bolts. That is a little out of your stated budget. It would get you a few more horsepower though.

Hmm....open exhaust? Open element air filter? How about one of those magnets that clamp over your fuel line to "align the fuels molecules" and promises 15 HP? How about looking at the crusher for a SB400 you could swap under your TBI setup?

I'm not much help, huh? There's no replacement for displacement, except for volumetric efficiency.

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't have a K&N. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

13. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i got one for christmas!!! i knoticed a pick up in mpg

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

K&N is probably one of the biggest hustles today. And anyone who says they installed one and felt a power increase is obviously feeling the placebo effect or whatever. Dyno runs have proven only 10 hp at the flywheel on the stoutest high reving Big Blocks... get that through your 4x4 valvetrain and it equals next to nothing. Also K&N's allow more dirt through then a paper filter... something to think about off-road, especially desert runners and dusty rock crawlers. You will actually gain more hp wise by the type of air cleaner housing then the filter itself. The reusability is nice but still ends up costing about what a cheap paper filter costs after buying the cleaner kit.

No mods will make huge gains on a stock engine. Your best bet for real gains is to save up for a head, manifold, cam swap. That will be a major kick in the rump, but even then you will need headers and a good exhaust to flow it.(which should really be your first mod). At least after you send a grand, you see some major improvements instead of shelling out 700 and seeing nothing.

Other then that... gears give a lot of bang for the buck depending if you can set them up or swap whole axles. MSD coil, with .060plugs, and a good set of taylor or msd plug wires is a pretty good boost of ignition. I also like the dual snorkle air cleaner assemblies with dual tubes... they IMO are worth the 100 bucks after you have done some other mods.

All in all...just think before you buy. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is (or it has a catch like carb spacers-which work good on some motors and actually hurt other motors). Seek real world, dyno proven results by independant companies or shops (NOT the Manufacturer or a mag that has them as an advertiser!)

15. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with Mikey

I fell in to the "K&N" trap a few years ago & wasted my money on one! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I did plugs, wires, cap& rotor, & K&N with absolutely NO change in mpg or seat-of-the-pants HP!

My advice is a good Cam. Followed by some headers & a good free exhaust.

16. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

The absolute biggest gimic is the "Tornado Air" They like guaruntee a 2mpg increase for their peice of aluminum foil that goes around the carb or tbi. I know two people with 350's that got them and had maybe .5mpg improvement....both are planning to return their foil soon.....
    http://www.tornadoair.com

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The fact that you CAN clean it is why I got one. I was packing in a paper filter to the point the engine was choking every month or two from dust. The K&N I can go about 4 trail rides before I notice the motor being choked THe K&N paid for it's self in one summer.
    Didn't notice an improvement other than being a clean filter on the Trucks but I did on the Supra. Filter is small on those cars and the factory style is very restrictive. Now how much is debatable.

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yes, tornado is a joke. But anything that can actually give .5mpg on a Blazer should be taken seriously.

The best power mod I've ever seen (short of a blower, nitrous or a good head/intake/cam swap) is lower gears. That can feel like a big block swap.

19. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Higher octane gas? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well isn't it the engine's "Best Bang for the Buck?" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif