Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nutrition Guru's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm24m, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

Nutrition Guru\'s

Can anyone tell me the difference between sugar carbs and sugar alcohol carbs? I'm on a low carb diet and the wrapper on some energy bars I bought had a big circle on the front saying "only two carbs." Well, when I got home and looked at the back it said it had 16gr of carbs, but 14gr were sugar alcohol carbs. It had a little note at the bottom that basically said that those don't count. I'm curious....whats the difference? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: Nutrition Guru\'s

I have no idea what a "alcohol carb" is, I would guess it's pretty close to a normal carb.

Tring to count callories is a huge pain, and really tuff to stick to for any langth of time. Are you tring to lose weight? Or is it a health thing?

Take a look at this post:
    The Program
    I really think this IS the way to go. It's not a hard program to follow and the results last.
    No tricks, No gimmicks, No "super-diet pill" and No B.S.. Just a streight-clean proven program that works if you follow it.

Get the book. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to start the Mens Health TAP program. I started watching what I eat about 4 weeks ago and so far have lost 12 lbs, but I want to lose about 30 more. It's a 9 week program that covers diet and weight training.

Something I have found that is helpful is this website. http://www.fitday.com it will keep track of your calories, carbs, etc.. and it even has a huge database that covers most of the food out there so you wont be burdened with inputting all of the numbers. Give it a go.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Sugar alcohol is the form that many sugar substitutes take and refers to it's chemical make-up. For your purposes, the only thing you need to know is that sugar alcohol has the same effect on your body as far as carbs go.

So, for people who want or need a low carb diet it can often be misleading because the packaging will read "low cal" then list a low carb count separately from a much higher sugar alcohol count. In essence, the person isn't any better off than if they just ate the equivilant non sugar alcohol carb level.

I think there's not many ways around a low carb diet with substitutes other than just not eating them. That said, I have noticed that sucralose, which is a many times refined sugar and not just a chemical goo, seems to have less sugar alcohol than other substitutes and is based on sugar. It's 600 times sweeter than sugar and is now starting to show up in many low cal products.

5. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm trying to shed a few pounds using the "Atkins" diet. It's worked good so far. 10lbs in 1 1/2 weeks. It's amazing how many food items have carbs in them. I guess I never thought about it much until I have to try and avoid them. I was 184 when I came to Missouri. I've been around 204 for a long while, but made it all the way up to 213 in February, then back down to 208 on a low fat diet and stopped losing weight. I'm down to 198 now. I finally broke the 200lb plateau. That in itself says something for this diet. None of the others did it. For all the diets I've tried, I've also maintained a decent workout of at least 45-60 minutes of sustained cardio per day, plus push-ups and sit-ups. Hopefully I'll get back into the weights again soon. I do know one thing. The hardest part about a low carb diet........not eating carbs!! They're in everything!!

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The only way to get around carbs is to subtract the fiber content grams from the total carbs...alcohol, or sugar. I dont think it matters a complex carb is considered the same as a simple carb on the Atkins diet so weather or not its sugar or alcohol its all the same.

Of course I barely passed the 12th grade /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .

Brent

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hey, good work! Yep, Atkins works for a lot of people. And there is now even some research from the naysayers that the problem with our fat-to-the-max country is not a fat but a carb problem. It is in everything. And people eat a lot of it cuz it's cheap. Protein is expensive. Easy to do the math.

The exercise you're doing is also key.

Keep it up!

8. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

everyone is different. Different chem formulas for those carbs, same [censored] different pile. Exersise is the only thing that takes weight off.