Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NV 4500 strength?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Jun 2, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I don't know much about this transmission so I'm doing some research. I've heard a few comments that it isn't as strong as some of the other gear boxes? Anybody have any experience with this trans?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Easily as strong as the SM465.

Rene

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

5th gear is the only weak link on this transmission. I have a friend having constant trouble with his behind a '97 Cummins 2wd 3/4 ton. Lost 5th gear and installed the upgraded nut the first round. Lost 5th gear again when upgraded nut failed and 5th gear came off, this time he welded the gear to the main shaft. Now he is having problems with the shifter getting stuck in 5th gear. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They have a lot less problems backing a gas engine. Between the input torque and the harmonic vibrations the diesel gives the NV4500 some troubles.

Rene

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

It is a VERY strong tranny...The only problem they tend to have is the 5th ger nut falls off and you lose 5th gear. My roommate has a 1998.5 24V cumming with an NV4500 and it lost 5th gear at 105,000 miles and we just put the updated nut in. Well The "updated" nut fell off again after another 5,000 miles. So he replaced the tranny with a rebuilt unit that has the updated nut, updated mainshaft and updated gear. IMHO, you really must replace all 3 to completely solve the 5th gear problem...

Chris

6. cybrfire

Well, I guess I've made up my mind then. Now I just have to get rid of my transmissions and transfercase collections so I can afford the NV4500 and NP241.

7. cybrfire

OH, yeah I forgot to mention, I talked to the dealership today and they told me that they have yet to have one come in for repairs so that is a good sign. Called a couple local junkyards but they didn't have anything. Bummer.

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I guess I've made up my mind then. Now I just have to get rid of my transmissions and transfercase collections so I can afford the NV4500 and NP241.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about getting a 2wd tranny and hooking it up to the 205?

9. cybrfire

Only issue there is length. I change my mind more often these days. It's starting to get difficult to get anything done.

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

10. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

im running a 2wd nv4500 to a divorced np205. need me to measure it???

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Only issue there is length. I change my mind more often these days. It's starting to get difficult to get anything done.

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always link the rear and move the W/B back a little.

12. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would be great. Let me know how far back to the end of the transmission from say the rear of the engine crossmember if ya would!

13. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know that is really tempting considering I'm thinking about changes in the suspension anyway. Them coilovers just kill it though.

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about offering a drink of water to a drowning man /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I've been runing the 4500 for about 9 yrs with my 350TBI K5 and pull a heavy trailer a lot. GCVW usually about 12 to 14k.

5th nut came off once, retorqued it on with loctite 270 and it has stayed on. I don't run with the balancer because I use an adaptor to hook up the 205.

I am planning to drop in a 6.5 and wonder what I'm in for (vibration wise) running without the balancer. Vibration
    has not been a problem with the gas engine. I have recently aquired a long snout round pattern 205. Maybe I could use the stock 4500 tail housing, dump the adaptor, and put the balancer back in? Anybody know if this will bolt up?

16. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Talk about offering a drink of water to a drowning man /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just one of the many services we offer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You could always go coil or 1/4 elliptical until you get the coin for the coilovers, Kert.

17. cybrfire

STOP IT!
    /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

18. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

I need a "Stirring the Pot" Smiley /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would be great. Let me know how far back to the end of the transmission from say the rear of the engine crossmember if ya would!

[/ QUOTE ]

im not in a chevy.... how about the front of the tranny to the np205 rear yoke? im running a dodge bellhousing, so the only thing we would share is the tranny, to np205

20. cybrfire

yeah that would be cool.